Benefits to Schools
Schools with involved parents enjoy:
- Better morale among teachers
- Higher ratings of teachers by parents
- More support from families
- A better reputation in the community
Benefits to Parents
When parents become involved in their children's education, the parents are more likely to:
- Be more confident at school
- Be more confident in themselves as parents and their ability to help their children learn
- Be held in higher opinion by teachers and have teachers expect more from their children
- Enroll in continuing education to advance their own schooling
In both two-parent and father-only households where dads are highly involved at school, children are more likely to:
- Succeed academically
- Participate in extracurricular activities
- Enjoy school
They are less likely to:
- Have to repeat a grade
- Be suspended or expelled
When parents get involved early in their children's education, the results are more pronounced and long-lasting.The more parents are involved in education, from working with their children at home to volunteering to fundraising to decision-making at school, the better for student achievement.
One study found that students from families with above average parental involvement were 30 percent more successful in school than those with below average involvement. Success was measured by GPA; test scores in math, science, reading, and social studies; promotion and retention rates; and teacher ratings.
PTO Today has a wide variety of tools to help groups like yours, get more parents involved at school. Check out some of the links below to see examples of flyers, letters, invitations and brochures that will help get you started.