Message Boards > Robt's Rules, ByLaws, Legal Forum > Need to get a copy of 501c3 designation letter

TOPIC: Need to get a copy of 501c3 designation letter

fb-msgview-right-b

abcvolunteer

That was easy
graphgraph
User Offline

Need to get a copy of 501c3 designation letter

6 Years, 6 Months ago

Page: 123

Hello all,

I am working on donations for our PTO Carnival. Several companies require a copy of our 501c3 designation letter which my president has somehow misplaced. I have our Fed ID number written down from our Tax forms but I don't actually have the 501c3 designation letter that states our EIN/Fed ID number. How does one go about getting a new copy of this from the IRS?

TIA
Enter code here   
Please note: although no board code and smiley buttons are shown, they are still usable.
fb-msgview-right-b

gjcoram

PTO Power User
graphgraph
User Offline
RE: Need to get a copy of 501c3 designation letter

6 Years, 6 Months ago

The IRS can look up your EIN based on your group's name. They did this for me -- I had a number, but the IRS said their records showed that number had never been issued, so they looked up the correct number by the group name; apparently, someone had applied for the new number in 2003, but never passed the number on to the next board -- or even the bank!

I think the number is (877) 829-5500

You might also want to check Search for Charities and make sure you have tax-exempt status. Having an EIN is *not* the same as being recognized by the IRS as tax-exempt.
Enter code here   
Please note: although no board code and smiley buttons are shown, they are still usable.
fb-msgview-right-b

6 Years, 6 Months ago

On the website, Welcome to up to date, plain language help with the 501(c)(3) application, IRS Form 1023, under the frequently asked question section, you can find some information on your question. According to the author of the website, the IRS does not replace the determination letter, but can send a letter confirming an organization's tax exempt status. The contact info is there. Hopefully this will help!
Enter code here   
fb-msgview-right-b

6 Years, 6 Months ago

I just posted the above note and I am not sure what happened, but the website I posted came out in the message totally wrong. Google Sandra Deja/form 1023 help and go to FAQ section.
Enter code here   
fb-msgview-right-b

LaAng3

Getting into this
graphgraph
User Offline

6 Years, 5 Months ago

Kayla, i clicked on your link and it worked fine for me...just wanted you to know
Enter code here   
fb-msgview-right-b

gjcoram

PTO Power User
graphgraph
User Offline

5 Years, 11 Months ago

According to the author of the website, the IRS does not replace the determination letter, but can send a letter confirming an organization's tax exempt status.

According to the "Compliance Guide for 501(c)(3) Public Charities" (which I just received this week along with my determination letter), page 23:

"A public charity may request a copy of a lost exemption letter or an updated exemption letter that reflects a name or address change from the EO [Exempt Organizations] Determinations office."

(I think someone posted a copy of this guide to this web site.)
Enter code here   

Page: 123