Message Boards > Robt's Rules, ByLaws, Legal Forum > Serving Alcohol at PTA Fundraiser

TOPIC: Serving Alcohol at PTA Fundraiser

fb-msgview-right-b

klh

Getting into this
graphgraph
User Offline

Serving Alcohol at PTA Fundraiser

9 Years, 10 Months ago

Page: 123

Our PTA held a silent/live auction this Spring. It was quite successful. There are quite a few people that would like to have alcohol served at next years auction. I am having a problem with this since we are PTA for an elementary school and I just don't think it is necessary. I would think there would also be liability issues.

Are there PTA bylaws regarding this? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Enter code here   
Please note: although no board code and smiley buttons are shown, they are still usable.
fb-msgview-right-b

learning

Boards fanatic
graphgraph
User Offline
RE: Serving Alcohol at PTA Fundraiser

9 Years, 10 Months ago

I'm not sure that there is anything in the PTA by-laws prohibiting alcohol; however, this would make me nervous as a president or as the organizer of the event. You may want to check out your insurance policy, there might be something in there. I agree with you, it seems unnecessary for any kind of school event, especially an elementary school.
Enter code here   
Please note: although no board code and smiley buttons are shown, they are still usable.
fb-msgview-right-b

Daddio044

PTO Power User
graphgraph
User Offline

9 Years, 10 Months ago

I say it's worth having - were all adults and we do drink (hope I'm not alone in saying this). Many people that would not normally attend will just for the socializing - make it looser and more relaxed for them. besides, they might spend more than normal too!

And, do get insurance to CYA! It's not worth passing that up.
Enter code here   
fb-msgview-right-b

Rockne

PTO Today Founder
graphgraph
User Offline

9 Years, 10 Months ago

I think "adult" nights (a dinner-dance, a higher-end auction, even an appreciation party) are great. They elevate the image of your organization; they create community; they build involvement.

Most of the schools I work with have policies regarding alcohol on school grounds. But if you're hosting your event at a function hall or hotel or the like, the hall will usually have the alcohol as an option -- with the added bonus that your group is not *serving* the alcohol and the facility has the responsibility for following alcohol rules and taking on the liability.

Tim
Enter code here   
PTO Today Founder
fb-msgview-right-b

Serendipity

PTO Power User
graphgraph
User Offline

9 Years, 10 Months ago

We had a tricky tray last year at a reception Hall. They served alcohol and their was no problems at all.

As Rockne stated any public school I know of does not allow any alcohol on the premises. Typically Parochial schools due allow it though.

If your auction is held off premises in a hall or restaurant then I see know problem with it at all. Parents who want to have some cocktails will love it and for those who do not want to drink...they do not have to.
Enter code here   
fb-msgview-right-b

9 Years, 9 Months ago

My opinion is obviously not with the majority but I find it very hard to swallow to serve alcohol at a school function especially if it is being paid for with school or PTA/PTO monies and as a person helping to provide the money for the school or PTA/PTO whether through taxes or a fundraiser I am even more opposed, what we as individuals do on our own time with our own money is one thing, but is it not hypocritical to teach our kids the harmful effects of drinking and then drink at a school function no less.
Enter code here   

Page: 123