fb-msgview-right-b

sierraprez

Getting into this
graphgraph
User Offline

Declining Book Fair Sales

11 Years ago

Page: 12

Anyone using Scholastic, have you seen declines, increases, or steady sales over the past few years? Just curious. We've seen declines for 3 years in a row in our annual fall sale. Could be the economy. Have some big plans to spice up things this coming year. Want to see what others are experiencing. Thanks.
Enter code here   
Please note: although no board code and smiley buttons are shown, they are still usable.
fb-msgview-right-b

pals

1K club
graphgraph
User Offline
RE: Declining Book Fair Sales

11 Years ago

Hi Sierraprez...Our school has used Scholastic for as long as anyone can remember. Our PTO is only 18 months old so Ican only speak from my part...our Fall sales have been up by a few hundred dollars but our Spring buy one get one free sale was down by over 1500.00. We are in central new york and the economy isn't great here but all of our other fundraisers were up . So i'm not sure if it's because of the same old same old thing or what. I would switch to a new book rep if I could just because it seems like scholastic's customer service isn't up to par like it use to be. Good Luck!!
Enter code here   
Please note: although no board code and smiley buttons are shown, they are still usable.
"When you stop learning you stop growing."
fb-msgview-right-b

LUVMYKIDS

Wow, just wow
graphgraph
User Offline

11 Years ago

Our sales with Scholastic were fanatastic this year. One thing we did differently was to run the sales out of school hours. The kids could come during recesses and make purchases but during the fall sale we opened on a Saturday morning. We served breakfast, had readings in the library, and Scholastic sent us a Clifford costume to use. For the spring sale, we opened one evening from 4-6pm. When you're sending money to school with your child you only send $5 or $10, but when the parents came along, they were spending $50-$70. We also used the credit card equipment-that boosted the dollars spent too! We had great reps too. They were very helpful and made sure we got all our out of stock orders fast. Maybe, you need to complain to the management in your area and see if they can help you out.
Enter code here   
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat.
fb-msgview-right-b

JHB

Wow, just wow
graph
User Offline

11 Years ago

One of my friends (from a "wealthy" school) runs their bookfair, and they have a week full of activities that amazes me. It includes a spaghetti dinner one night and lots of other events. But one I remember her talking about as being particularly successful: They have one "Donuts with Dad" morning the bookfair. I forget the amount, but what they made in that one morning is staggering. She said the Dads always spend a lot.

With our own bookfair, we have the Spring date coincide with Spring Fling - our annual event. (Bingo, silent auction, sock hop, etc.) So the bookfair being open is one more activity that night. It's generally pretty successful.
Enter code here   
fb-msgview-right-b

pottsvillemom

PTO Power User
graphgraph
User Offline

11 Years ago

Our book fairs coincide with our parent teacher conferences, so that parents get the chance to browse.
Enter code here   
fb-msgview-right-b

pals

1K club
graphgraph
User Offline

11 Years ago

In the fall we run ours with "meet the teacher Night" and the spring one is ran with a family event(this year a luau..next year sock hop). It has helped alot to really advertise them up. Im just wondering if after like 15 years if it's just wore out the market??? Has anyone ever seen events fail after going on so long?
Enter code here   
"When you stop learning you stop growing."

Page: 12