Message Boards > Involvement Ideas and Challenges Forum > Accelerated Reader Prizes

TOPIC: Accelerated Reader Prizes

fb-msgview-right-b

melinda dotherow

That was easy
graphgraph
User Offline

Accelerated Reader Prizes

10 Years, 11 Months ago

Page: 123

Hi. Can anyone send me a copy of the Accelerated Reader Prize program that they use? We are looking for new ideas. Thanks, Melinda
melindadot@charter.net
Enter code here   
Please note: although no board code and smiley buttons are shown, they are still usable.
fb-msgview-right-b

momi-o

Back for more
graphgraph
User Offline
RE: Accelerated Reader Prizes

10 Years, 11 Months ago

Hi Melinda,
Our school uses dogtag necklaces, it's a smash with the kids! They get to wear their dogtags on Fridays and the school rings with jingles
We've had kids fill their necklaces in 1/2 a year. If you might be interested in doing this, let me know and I'll get you the specifics on the program.
Enter code here   
Please note: although no board code and smiley buttons are shown, they are still usable.
fb-msgview-right-b

rosewood2

Boards fanatic
graphgraph
User Offline

10 Years, 11 Months ago

Can I get information on the dog tags? At the school my boys use to go to. We had levels that the children had to reach. As they reached the levels they had a picture of themselves to put into that levels space. The levels were in the cafeteria/multi purpose room so that everyone could see the effort of every child. You could use the childrens pictures and put them on a themed wall with the levels on colored paper, ex. outer space and make the background of the pictures to be space ships. the theme could be blasting into outerspace with accelerated readers. :eek:
Enter code here   
fb-msgview-right-b

10 Years, 11 Months ago

good ideas! Thanks!
Enter code here   
fb-msgview-right-b

mommyofgoobers

Back for more
graphgraph
User Offline

10 Years, 11 Months ago

Please just be considerate of the kids who will never make the wall. Many students, for various reasons, will not make goal and will be very discouraged about not having their picture on the wall. Also, these kinds of efforts make motivation external rather than intrinsic for reading. AR tests ask only literal questions and do not encourage higher level thinking.
Read for enjoyment and knowledge; not for points or dogtags.
Enter code here   
fb-msgview-right-b

C. Brooks

1K club
graphgraph
User Offline

10 Years, 11 Months ago

Krista- You can get the dog tags from Oriental Trading. Our fourth grade got those last year to sell at a booth for Spring Fling, they sold out in no time.

We had a very large bulletin board in our lunch room. It was divided up into the clubs. 5pt. Club-25 pt. Clubs go by every 5 pts. until after 25 pts. then it is every 25 pts to make it to another point club. Their names were put on stars and put under the correct point club, but they kept getting knocked off so our principal had each grade/teacher to make their own chart to put outside their room. One teacher does fish with the child's name and points on it. One grade made a large apple and has apples with the children's names and points, and one grade has ice cream cones and every time the child moves up they get another scoop. We have never had a problem with any one feeling left out to my knowledge (we did have a mom,however, if her child's star wasn't changed immediately). It makes some kids want to try a little harder to keep up with their friends, but all in all, the kids that aren't interested much in reading doesn't pay any attention to it. We also give AR trophies at the end of the year with the child that received the most points in each room.

They ordered different prizes last year. I know we've had pencils, crayon banks, sun glasses, cup holders, zipper clips, hakky sak footballs, AR bumper stickers with the school logo, rulers, license plates with school logo, sports cups with school logo, pom poms. That is all I can remember right now.

[ 09-11-2003, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: C. Brooks ]
Enter code here   

Page: 123