fb-msgview-right-b

anne0867

Back for more
graphgraph
User Offline

payment by check- nsf

5 Years, 8 Months ago

Page: 123

I am the treasurer of our parent group. Today, I recieved a document from the bank.

We had 4 checks that have been written by parents, returned to us for non-sufficent funds.

This is the first time in at least 2 years this has happened to us.

How do I politily ask for, not only the orignal amout the check was written for, but also the bank fee we were charged?

I don't want to sound rude or demanding, but, I do want these parents to pay what they owe.

I was thinking something like:

I am sure this was accidental, but we have recieved your check (insert check number, date and amount of check) back for non-sufficent funds. Our account was debited $7.50. Please remit $________ , in cash by (insert date).

Please note, if this happens again, you may be asked to pay in cash for future activities.

Let me know what you think, I am open to suggestions!!
Enter code here   
Please note: although no board code and smiley buttons are shown, they are still usable.
fb-msgview-right-b

gmsouth

Back for more
graphgraph
User Offline
RE: payment by check- nsf

5 Years, 8 Months ago

Sounds good to me. We had that problem in our PTO also. We just don't take check any longer. It is a cash only bases. We could never get the money they owed us or the amount charge for the bonced check. Good Luck getting your money back. Melissa
Enter code here   
Please note: although no board code and smiley buttons are shown, they are still usable.
fb-msgview-right-b

5 Years, 8 Months ago

We just created a form letter that was direct and to the point. Nothing rude or demanding about requesting reimbursement for a returned check and the fees. The person should have already received a notice from the bank that the check was returned to you. We've only had 4 or 5 returned checks in the last 3 years. Only one didn't respond. Cost her about 3 times more in fees than what the check was. A couple just left the reimbursement in an envelope with the secretaries in the office. Here's how our's reads...maybe it will help....

Mr/Mrs. ____________

We have received a return check on your account number ___________in the amount of _________________. There was a return fee of _______________.

The reason for return is stated as __________________________________________.

Please contact me immediately to reimburse the PTO for this item.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter.

___________, Treasurer
Phone number

Hope you don't have any problems collecting.
Enter code here   
fb-msgview-right-b

Critter

1K club
graphgraph
User Offline

5 Years, 8 Months ago

I agree with hmmmm's letter. You don't need to assume this was "accidental". You don't know. The only thing I woudl add to hmmm's letter is the TOTAL amount you expect them to pay (fees included). It should be very clear you expect them to pay the fee. We also add the reason for the check if we know it (ex: yearbook order). That way, the person has some recollection of why they wrote the check in case they neglected to make a note in their checkbook. This isn't your fault, and you shouldn't feel resonsible for it. Be polite, but firm.
Enter code here   
fb-msgview-right-b

daddio

Boards fanatic
graphgraph
User Offline

5 Years, 8 Months ago

We have made a letter to address this type of situation if it ever occured with any of our fundraising efforts. If you would like a copy, please email me at forresthsa@hotmail.com
Enter code here   
fb-msgview-right-b

5 Years, 8 Months ago

It also depends on whether they have received the items yet. If they ordered a T-shirt / Yearbook / etc... and paid by check, your note can say "you can pick up your T-shirt when you pay $_____ in cash". If they never get the item, you are not out that much.

If they already have the item, we try a little harder to collect.

If it was a straight donation (say to a walk-a-thon) we send a note and let them know, but again you're not out that much.

It doesn't happen all that often. We always send a letter or phone call, but really we don't want our image to be that of a collection agency. It's not worth the bad press to really harass people to pay.
Enter code here   

Page: 123