Message Boards > Involvement Ideas and Challenges Forum > New PTA..Ideas needed to boost membership

TOPIC: New PTA..Ideas needed to boost membership

fb-msgview-right-b

MochaMom

New PTA..Ideas needed to boost membership

3 Years, 1 Month ago

Page: 123

Greetings All,

Ideas are welcome.

My daughter's school is pretty new (only two years old) and the PTA has had a hard time getting off the ground. There are only 60 members and most of them are teachers and there are 600 students in the school.

I'm new to the PTA Board and I love a challenge but I need your help!!

How do you boost a PTA that is having a hard time getting on its feet.

At first I was thinking a membership drive contest in the fall....but since parents aren't really educated on the PTA...the contest might flop??

Any suggestions??
Enter code here   
Please note: although no board code and smiley buttons are shown, they are still usable.
fb-msgview-right-b

Lisa @ PTO Today

graphgraph
User Offline
Re:New PTA..Ideas needed to boost membership

3 Years, 1 Month ago

Hi Mochamom-
Congrats on your new board position!

Would highly recommend watching this video series of our Tim (PTO Today's founder) talking about how to move parents up the involvement ladder. His talk is loaded with great insight on what keeps parents from getting involved and tips on ways to inspire them to volunteer.

A simple but powerful way to get more parents involved is our Two-Hour Power Pledge program. We hear from parent groups all the time that this works wonders!

Another key is focusing on building community first. School Family Nights are a terrific way to accomplish this. The nice thing is that the kits are free and they are chock full of all the steps you need to take to make the night success -- making it easier to find someone to to help with the event.

Anyone else have some tips for Mochamom?

~Lisa

Follow us on Twitter.
Connect with us on Facebook.
Enter code here   
Please note: although no board code and smiley buttons are shown, they are still usable.
Community Host
fb-msgview-right-b

MochaMom

3 Years, 1 Month ago

Thanks for responding!!
Enter code here   
fb-msgview-right-b

Candace

3 Years, 1 Month ago

mochamom-
we have found that if we focus too much on the membership drive it turns a lot of people off. Instead we do a parent pot luck at the beginning of the year. It's cheap, it lets parents get to know each other and it shows that we are not just about fundraising. We do a numbers game so people rotate where there they sit and we also do a a get to know you game.
-CB
Enter code here   
fb-msgview-right-b

Judy

3 Years ago

Hi Cb ,
Can you elaborate on the games?
Enter code here   
fb-msgview-right-b

kat_singer

Back for more
graphgraph
User Offline

2 Years, 10 Months ago

Wow, 60 members is better than my son's school that has been around forever! I went to my first meeting and there were only teachers on the board and they were surprised when 5 parents showed up (2 were a couple).
Enter code here   

Page: 123