TOPIC: Opening PTO meetings with prayer.

Opening PTO meetings with prayer. 8 years 4 months ago #120928

• ChristianMom
I am increasingly concerned about the safety and welfare of our children in schools. I believe in the power of prayer and especially prayer in larger groups.

What would you think of opening the PTO meeting with a prayer for the Principal, teachers and students as well as families at the beginning of a meeting?

Since this is not an offical part of the school's activity I don't believe it would be considered separation of church and state.

Thank you for your opinions.
Blessings and Peace,
Christian Mom

RE: Opening PTO meetings with prayer. 8 years 4 months ago #120929

I think it would depend on the people you have in your group. While our school could be called predominently Christian believers, there are still many that would not feel comfortable with a prayer at our meetings. There are many faculty and students at our school that meet early in the mornings for "prayer at the flag pole" each week as well as weekly prayer groups. If you feel strongly about praying for your students, teachers, etc. you may want to consider this. I would try to remember that your PTO is set up to benefit/support your child's education. I don't know that I would feel comfortable possibly alienating some wonderful parents simply based on differences in religious beliefs.

Deb

RE: Opening PTO meetings with prayer. 8 years 4 months ago #120930

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable with prayer at our meetings. People have all different kinds of beliefs and express those beliefs in many different ways. If we were going to do anything like this at all, I would prefer to have a "moment of silence" kind if thing so people could communicate with their higher power in whatever way they felt comfortable, be it prayer, meditation, whatever.

RE: Opening PTO meetings with prayer. 8 years 4 months ago #120931

• pals
  • 1K club
Not the time or the place for this at all! Not all have the same beliefs and I would be one that would be highly offended if someone tried to push their religion on me. Also have you asked your principal if this is even okay? I find that strange!
"When you stop learning you stop growing."

RE: Opening PTO meetings with prayer. 8 years 4 months ago #120932

• Shawn
  • 1K club
A non profit PTA/PTO is not a school function therefore separation of church and state doesnt apply (ie. No students- ala Fellowship of Christian Athletes which has restrictions 'cuz it involves students and is in a school building)
I'd check with the school also, I agree with the above posts (about not pushing my christian/religious beliefs on non christians/beleivers)but I also am offended by not being able to show I'm religious (the minority somehow has trumped the minority)

Supreme Court needs 2 revist separation of church and state (Declaration/Constitution- guarantees Freedom of Religion NOT Freedom from Religion they seem 2 have forgotten that- separation of church and state means the US cannot adopt a National religion or mandate laws against religion (which also is not being enforced- because it has discriminated agianst the moral majority)

[ 07-13-2006, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Shawn ]
<font size=""1""><font color="#"black"">Liberalism is not an affilation its a curable disease. </font></font><br /><br><font color="#"gray"">~Wisdom of Shawnshuefus</font><br /><br><font color="#"blue""><font size=""1"">The punishment which the wise suffer, who refuse to take part in government, is...

RE: Opening PTO meetings with prayer. 8 years 4 months ago #120933

• &lt;watchout&gt;
WHOA here is my .02

If you are independnet, not for profit, SEPARATE from the school distirct, 100%, then most likely you can pray all night long if you want, in theory (doesnt mean some parents wont protest).

IF however, you are DEPENDENT, an arm of the school/district, if I were you , I would give invite Dr Lawyer of district counsel to my next PTO meeting and pick her brain on this one.

But no matter what you do, prayer wise, you are bound to offend someone in your parent body, so why risk alienating even one person with such a provocative stance, bringing prayer to a PTO meeting??????

As you know there are people trying to omit the word god from the morning pledge, surely you will have people all over your back quick like, if you bring in a full prayer to a PTO meeting, regardless of your tax filing status, indep or dependent ie, driven to be free or driven by separation of church and state, respectively.

And at the end of the day, dont yur bylaws stipulate something about being Apolitical? ANd not pushing your own agenda etc? I should think religion is tantamount to politics, in this day and age. IMHO.
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds