Elections and Transition Archive
New officers and old officers need to collaborate to ensure transition success. When the PTO election is over, will your group move ahead well? You'll find tons of ideas in the articles below to make that happen. Find more helpful tools and info on the Elections/Transition resources page.
Articles with a plus sign () are available to PTO Today Plus members only.
- Help Prepare New Officers for Success - With good planning and communication, you can help ensure a quick and easy leadership transition.
- Developing New PTO and PTA Leaders - It takes ongoing effort to cultivate the parents who will run the group after you retire.
- Your PTO Year-End To Do List - 15 steps to close out the year and get ready for a great start in the fall.
- Find the Right Person for the Job - Matching an open leadership position with the right person just got a little easier; check out these key roles and the talents and skills they call for.
- PTO Officer Elections FAQs - How do you run a PTO election? Answers to the most common questions.
- Is It Time To Pass the Gavel? - Questions to ask yourself if you're thinking about retiring from your PTO leadership role.
- Build a Strong Executive Board - Working to form a cohesive executive board can pay off in long-term success for your parent group.
- Set and Reach Group Goals - How you go about setting objectives—and how you communicate them once they're set—plays a key role in your chances for success.
- Empowering Committee Chairs - A formal orientation for committee leaders puts veterans and newcomers alike on equal footing, and gets everyone on the same page.
- Make Planning a Priority - Think ahead for fall and get a jump-start on a productive year.
- Procedures Book: Your PTO's Instruction Manual - How to create policies and procedures books for your leaders. This tool can make a big difference for your group.
- My First Meeting: Presidents Remember - Parent group presidents recall the worrying, the nerves, and the lessons learned from their first time wielding a gavel.
- You're Elected! Now What? - An overview of what lies ahead for first-time board members, and tips for getting off to a strong start.
- Energize Your Parent Group - Tips to build interest and enthusiasm, then keep the momentum going all year long.
- How To Retire Gracefully - The way in which officers move on from their leadership roles can affect the group even after they're gone. Make your transition a positive one.
- Officer Transition: Planning Ahead - Prepare new officers for success by making sure they have the information and training they need.
- When Schools Merge - Consolidation can be a stressful time for students and parents alike. Here are some ways parent groups ease the transition.
- 8 Tips for Passing the Gavel - Putting new board members in charge can go smoothly; avoid transition trauma with these lessons from people who have been there.
- PTO vs. PTA: What's the Difference? - The vast majority of parent-teacher groups are actually independents rather than formally affiliated PTAs.