Message Boards > Playgrounds, Arts, Assemblies Forum > School Assembly / Cultural Arts Resources

TOPIC: School Assembly / Cultural Arts Resources

fb-msgview-right-b

gazoogleheimer

Back for more
graphgraph
User Offline

School Assembly / Cultural Arts Resources

5 Years, 11 Months ago

Page: 12

I am thrilled to be the new committee head for our PTO's Cultural Arts Committee. That's the one that brings the assemblies to the school.

Now, where do I start? Is there a listing, database or resource anywhere online where I can find all of the (or many of the) organizations & entertainers that are ready & willing to do school assemblies?
Enter code here   
Please note: although no board code and smiley buttons are shown, they are still usable.
fb-msgview-right-b
RE: School Assembly / Cultural Arts Resources

5 Years, 11 Months ago

One source you may want to try is our Yellow Pages at http://www.ptotoday.com/yellowpages/?position=top

You can find Arts and Enrichment programs categorized by your region.
Enter code here   
Please note: although no board code and smiley buttons are shown, they are still usable.
fb-msgview-right-b

Rockne

PTO Today Founder
graphgraph
User Offline

5 Years, 11 Months ago

Hi gazoo (and all) -

As an FYI, listings in that directory are free, so as you're working with performers and enrichment folks -- I hope you'll encourage them to get their free listing in the directory. the more listings there, the better for group leaders and for enrichment professionals.

Tim
Enter code here   
PTO Today Founder
fb-msgview-right-b

gazoogleheimer

Back for more
graphgraph
User Offline

5 Years, 11 Months ago

Awesome! Thanks!
Enter code here   
fb-msgview-right-b

pinball queen

That was easy
graphgraph
User Offline

5 Years, 11 Months ago

I've had great success with talking to my local children's librarian. She's given me many great ideas and I have actually hired some of the performers she's had come in. She's also hired some of the people I've had come in for assemblies for children's programs at the library.

Some states also have a BOCES list of performers that have been approved in the past. I've also gotten recommendations from the teachers in my school and our county has once a year an artist showcase where you can go and talk to the performers.

Good luck with planning the cultural arts for your school! I've been doing my school for the past two years and will continue for the next two.

If you're in NY, I can send you links I've found very useful.
Enter code here   
fb-msgview-right-b

Momski

PTO Power User
graphgraph
User Offline

5 Years, 5 Months ago

Talk to the music directors at your local high school. Chances are they have attended the music teacher symposiums and have seen the latest/greatest in the area.

Same with artists - check the art teachers at the high school level, too.

Do you have a college within a 60 minute drive? they are also an affordable source for artists-in-residence.

Do you have a performing arts center nearby? The director can also be a great resource.

Check if your state has an "Arts Board" - I'm in WI, and Wisconsin has a Wisconsin Arts Board that lists all the state artists in a handy online database.

One of my absolute favorite assembly was the "Earth Balloon" from the Whereabouts people. They were so easy to deal with and the PTO coordinated a geography festival to go along with it.

Have fun!

####
Enter code here   

Page: 12