Message Boards

Silent Lunch Hour in Elementary

12 years 1 month ago #136549 by CrewChief
I agree with OntheGo that it isn't a PTO issue. But as a parent issue, I'd definitely give my opinion. My son's k-5 school had, more or less, a silent lunch requirement. I hated it and so did my son! Luckily he only went there for K and 1st grade.

The teachers actually had to sit and eat with their classes and maintain order. If there was any noise at all the asst principal would fly across the hall, shut off the cafeteria lights and give a 5 minute lecture. It was awful. These are little kids. Sure, they can't act like a bunch of zoo monkies but some sort of activity and noise levels have to be allowed.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same."

"The ultimate aim of karate lies not in victory or defeat but in the true perfection of one's character."
12 years 1 month ago #136552 by jajea
Replied by jajea on topic Silent Lunch Hour in Elementary
Glad (or sad) to know that our school isn't the only one with this issue. I can not understand how teachers can expect kids to sit during their lunch time and be "quite". It bugs me like nothing else. We have parapros that moniter our lunch times and will make whole classes write spelling words for talking. Makes me nuts. I just can't comprehend and I'm not alone. I hear parents complaining abou this all during the school year. I certainly do not think kids should be allowed to act like wild animals during lunch, but please, they are kids, please let them eat and enjoy their meal time a little. Just my opinion
12 years 1 week ago #137886 by Sarakate
Our school does not have a quiet lunch hour but the children only are able to sit on one side of the table. Does any other school do this? So much for face to face interaction. I couldn't believe it the first time I saw it. I like the incentive idea...any others out there!
12 years 1 week ago #137918 by OneandOnly
My school used this as a punishment when the kids were not listening in lunch. We had a few kids that caught on quick that if you acted out, they would have a silent lunch or the entire grade level had to eat by classroom. It created a situation where these kids were doing it to have a good laugh.
Parents spoke out against this and to send the kids acting out to the principal or have them sit separately from the others. Lunch is a time for the kids to relax, have some fun, talk to friends, etc. Having them stiffled for over 6 hours a day is not healthy or good for the children.

Doing it for my one and only ~~ my son!
12 years 1 week ago #137943 by Jenn in MT
I have to say that when I first read the original post, I thought you were asking about a fundraiser or something. I have never heard anything so ridiculous. Are they training to be monks? or socialized, civilized HUMANS?
12 years 4 days ago #138186 by jajea
Replied by jajea on topic Silent Lunch Hour in Elementary
help! i just found out that my son's school enforces a silent eating time of 5 minutes every day. when the silence is broken the time gets bumped up until sometimes the entire period is spent in silence or waiting to get yelled at. today, my 7 year old, (and I'm not one of those moms who thinks her children are always angels) who is a REALLY good kid (at school, not always at home!) responded to something a friend of his asked during their five minutes of silence. He was moved to another table filled with other "speakers" and made to sit up against the wall for the entire lunch recess. no warning. first offense. he did not shout. he said three words. and they were nothing vulgar. i'm so ticked off right now, i need some advice on how to address this at our school. our children have so much structure in their lives as it is. my son comes home from school stressed out. i do not remember second grade as a stressful time in my life. he told me that lunch is the worse part of his day. i feel a food fight coming on.
Time to create page: 0.267 seconds