Message Boards

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Welcome to the Message Boards
Join the conversation! No soliciting or ads, please. Registration is not required but encouraged to get the most out of our community features.

Looking for advice? Join us on Facebook

Get advice, ideas, and support from other parent group leaders just like you—join our closed Facebook group for PTO and PTA Leaders & Volunteers .

Redux: For Profit School, Non-Profit PTO

15 years 3 weeks ago #72749 by Ted Finegold
Redux: For Profit School, Non-Profit PTO was created by Ted Finegold
This was briefly discussed recently, but I am in the middle of this very same question, and would appreciate some specific guidance. The children attend a privately owned school (owned by one of the teachers). We are expanding the school and need additional funding. Instead of moving the school from a for-profit to a non-profit, other parents and I prefer to incorporate a 501(c)(3) non-profit PTO. The PTO would conduct fundraising and use the funds to supplement the school. How far can we go? Can we pay for a new teacher (who would presumable be an employee of the for-profit school)? Can we buy and give materials to the for-profit school? This was insinuated on the other string, and it seems to violate the private benefit/private inurement rules. Then again, I've heard of booster clubs, but they normally benefit a public or non-profit school. Thanks in advance.
15 years 1 week ago #72750 by Carl Thrasher
Replied by Carl Thrasher on topic RE: Redux: For Profit School, Non-Profit PTO
Ted: I have exactly the same questions, but have not yet been able to find any resource for help. If you have since found any resource that can answer your questions, I would very much appreciate it if you would post it on this forum.
15 years 1 week ago #72751 by Rockne
My recommendation: Call the IRS helpline. www.irs.gov They're very helpful.

Let us know what you learn.

Tim

PTO Today Founder
2 years 3 months ago #172314 by Guest
Replied by Guest on topic Redux: For Profit School, Non-Profit PTO
I have the same question - was anyone able to get some guidance?
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds