Message Boards

Ideas for interesting Guest Speakers?

17 years 3 months ago #107097 by nicanna
Ideas for interesting Guest Speakers? was created by nicanna
We are a PTO, and I am looking for some interesting guest speakers or ideas like this to attract more membership. Has anyone had experiences with this or have any good ideas?
17 years 3 months ago #107098 by Lisa@Tx
Replied by Lisa@Tx on topic Ideas for interesting Guest Speakers?
Yes, I am in charge of Parent Ed. next year.
I will be having speakers talk about Discipline, Crisis support (anniversary of 9/11; divorce, etc), Bullying (resolving conflicts), Motivation, self-esteem, etc. I am really excited and have gotten many speakers to come for FREE! PTA sends speakers for free (if you're PTA). I have also contacted my local extension service, thru our university and some other organizations. You can do a search on the web for "Outreach -city-" This is my first time doing this, so I am hoping for a good turnout. But I know free food and door prizes usually bring people!

You can also contact your local zoo, museums, library for speakers. Our Art museum has an outreach program where they come to our school for free and spend about an hour in each classroom. Try Familyforward.org and peerabuse.net on the web, too.

Hope this helps,
Lisa @ Tx
17 years 3 months ago #107099 by lacrosse mom
Replied by lacrosse mom on topic Ideas for interesting Guest Speakers?
We are a middle school, and this year I asked our local police dept. to give a talk about internet safety. This was our best meeting all year. They brought a list of parent support web sites, tips for checking your computer to see what sites your kids have visited (on purpose or accidentally). They brought with them a sample contract for kids to sign that listed several ground rules for safe use of the internet. This was a free service, and we invited another PTO from a nearby middle school. They enjoyed it so much we are planning at least one program together for this year. We also had a fun meeting with a speaker from a local organizational type store. She showed everyone several ways to get organized, depending on how old your kids are, if you have help from a spouse, etc. That went over really well, too.
4 years 1 month ago #168443 by Anonymous
Replied by Anonymous on topic Ideas for interesting Guest Speakers?
we are trying a college savings expert this year.
4 years 1 month ago #168447 by Rose H
That's a great idea -- college savings expert -- even for the younger grades!
2 years 6 days ago #172063 by Anonymous
Replied by Anonymous on topic Ideas for interesting Guest Speakers?
Can you send me information on this. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds