Message Boards

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Welcome to the Message Boards
Join the conversation! No soliciting or ads, please. Registration is not required but encouraged to get the most out of our community features.

Looking for advice? Join us on Facebook

Get advice, ideas, and support from other parent group leaders just like you—join our closed Facebook group for PTO and PTA Leaders & Volunteers .

× Comments, Questions, and Feedback on the PTO Today Message Boards & Community.

chartering a boy scout troop

8 years 7 months ago #159928 by Ms. Kelly
Replied by Ms. Kelly on topic Re:chartering a boy scout troop
Can someone from the local BSA council ban an adult troop member for being rude on a phone message when they asked WHY THEIR NAME WAS CROSSED OFF THE re-charter??
8 years 6 months ago #160312 by Concerned Mom
Replied by Concerned Mom on topic Re:chartering a boy scout troop
Why does the Boys Scouts need a Charter? If you have a safe meeting place why do you need a Charter? Also I am told that if you have a trailer and all the the equipment, I am told it belongs to the Charter who only pay $20 a year and are not required to do anything else other than a safe meeting place. Sounds fishy to me.
8 years 6 months ago #160317 by mark

Can someone from the local BSA council ban an adult troop member for being rude on a phone message when they asked WHY THEIR NAME WAS CROSSED OFF THE re-charter??

This is obviously a complex issue involving multiple parties. The chartering organization is responsible for selecting the membership of that troop. It can renew current leaders, add new leaders, or drop existing leaders at its pleasure. You may wish to contact the chartering organization to find out why you were removed. They would have been responsible for completing and submitting the charter with your name removed. If you are unsuccessful in communicating with the chartering organization, contact the local Scout office and ask to speak to the district executive regarding the matter.

Why does the Boys Scouts need a Charter? If you have a safe meeting place why do you need a Charter? Also I am told that if you have a trailer and all the the equipment, I am told it belongs to the Charter who only pay $20 a year and are not required to do anything else other than a safe meeting place. Sounds fishy to me.

The chartering organization is required to do many things in addition to providing a meeting place, including select and approve adult leadership. The responsibilities are reviewed with them yearly and their executive officer or appointee acknowledges them with the BSA. A troop, pack, etc. is not an entity on its own. It cannot, therefore, own property, license a vehicle, title a trailer, solicit donations, or sign a contract, for example.
8 years 4 months ago #160886 by Need help
Replied by Need help on topic Re:chartering a boy scout troop
Please help. Our PTO insurance does not cover chartering of the cub scouts or troop. The scouting council is unwilling to help us find another chartered organization the troop. Rather, they are blaming the PTO for turning their backs on the scouts and destroying their scouting careers.

The parents of the scouts are irate and insisting that the PTO continue to sponsor them. Sadly, the leaders of this particular group have now made the PTO executive board afraid to say no. The PTO feels bullied by both the parents and the BSA. What now?
8 years 4 months ago #160936 by Rose H
Hi Need help,

Let me start by saying I'm sorry it has taken a while for me to get back to you. I wasn't familiar with issues relating to Boy Scouts.

So, I'm going to circle back to what our founder, Tim Sullivan, posted a while back concerning Boy Scouts and charters.

"We've discussed this several times in the past and I know lots of PTOs and PTAs do do this, but I would definitely hesitate.

I still don't get why scouts operate this way. They're the only org. I've ever heard needing this kind of chartering organization. The Elks or the little league don't need a differetn, unrelated non-profit to charter them.

I don't know for a fact there are legal implications, but I certainly suspect that this type of annual charter relationship could spread some liability and risk to your group. It sure feels like an official relationship.

This doesn't mean scouts are bad (and if you decline to charter the scouts it doesn't mean you think scouts are bad), but the PTO has its own functions and goals that keep you very busy. You don't charter the local cancer society or senior center -- and they're great org's too.

My advice is for the scouts to adjust their policies to work more like nearly every other local do-good org. I advise caution here.''

So, it's a good idea to look at all your options and not be pushed into doing things one way or another. One option to consider is a compromise of your group acquiring extra insurance but having the Boy Scout troup raise money to pay for it. Would that work?

Good luck and stay in touch as you work through this.

Rose C.
Community Manager

Tim
7 years 11 months ago #161777 by Gary Collins
Replied by Gary Collins on topic Re:chartering a boy scout troop
Can a local business charter a BSA Troop ? A business like a bank or Realtor or Attorney group ?
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds