Taxes Archive

Advice and instructions for PTO leaders on tasks related to the IRS, tax-exempt status, and filing tax information returns as a nonprofit organization. Find more articles and tools on the Bylaws/Nonprofit resources page.

  • IRS Cuts 501(c)(3) Paperwork - Effective Sept. 9, 2008, new groups applying for tax-exempt status will no longer have to file Form 8734.
  • New IRS Filing Requirement: E-Postcard - Starting in 2008, even nonprofit organizations with smaller gross receipts must electronically file an information return with the IRS.
  • Should PTOs Pay Expenses? - Under certain conditions, it's OK for PTOs to pay travel and training expenses for board members. And if you don't get reimbursed, here's what you need to know about tax deductions.
  • Taxes, PTOs, and the IRS - Questions about tax-exemption? Get the scoop on 501(c)(3).
  • Tax Breaks for Volunteers - School or parent group volunteers may be entitled to some tax breaks for their contributions; tax professionals recommend taking deductions only if the group is a registered 501(c)(3) charity.
  • Tackling Your PTO Tax Return - Even tax-exempt nonprofit organizations need to file a yearly statement with the IRS. With a little decoding, it's not so hard to do.
  • Can I Deduct That? - The information you need so that your group's supporters can get the full advantage from their tax-deductible donations.

Looking For More Help?

There are lots of places on this site where you'll find even more help. Our Message Boards, Blog, and File Exchange are a good place to start.

Let us know if you can't find the help you need. Chances are we have at least one resource or tool that will do the trick and it's just playing hard-to-find at the moment.