Creating a Facebook page can be a great way to keep in touch with parents and build community. Use these guidelines to set up a successful Facebook page for your group.
- Write guidelines for your page that emphasize the importance of being polite, avoiding profanity, and writing only what you would say to someone’s face.
- When you set up your page, tell Facebook you want to add a “Like” box to it. This will help you attract more parents.
- Vary your posts. Include information about school events, volunteering, and fundraisers, but also add photos, links to interesting blog posts and articles, public thank-yous, quotations, and anything else you feel is relevant.
- Delete all posts that are negative, inflammatory, or promotional.
- Promote your page in your other communications whenever possible. The more parents who know about it, the more lively and beneficial it will be.