Host a Family Tech Talk Event for Your School
Help parents learn the risks students face online with this free Internet safety event
Family Tech Talk is a great way for your group to educate parents about the risks students face online—and how they can help their kids use the Internet safely!
This free Zoom event is presented by a professional Internet safety expert from global cybersecurity leader Trend Micro and is available in multiple languages on request.
This event is Title I parent and family engagement approved.
The Following Topics Will Be Addressed:
- Online gaming and social media insights
- How to prevent online risks
- Best practices to be safe online
- Managing screentime
- App settings for age-appropriate content
- Ways to set devices
- Parents can ask their own questions during the Q&A
How This Free Program Works
1. Select your event date and time
Pick the date that works best for your school’s parents. Trend Micro will email you a few weeks before your event with your Zoom details. (See below for this year’s available dates.)
2. Promote your event
Our free toolkit includes promotional materials (like a flyer and social media graphics) to help your group promote your event to parents. Get the word out because schools with five or more families in attendance will be entered to win a $350 tech prize package that includes a Chromebook, a $25 Roblox gift card, 2,800 Fortnite V-Bucks, and Trend Micro security software.*
3. Tune in to your event!
Title I schools can request a unique code as proof of attendance from their Internet safety expert after the event.
Upcoming event dates:
- Jan 24, 2023 (Tues) - 8pm Mountain/7pm Pacific
- Jan 25, 2023 (Wed) - 7pm Eastern/6pm Central
- Feb 7, 2023 (Tues) - 8pm Eastern/7pm Central
- Feb 15, 2023 (Wed) - 8pm Central/7pm Mountain
- Mar 8, 2023 (Wed) - 7pm Eastern/6pm Central
- Mar 15, 2023 (Wed) - 8pm Central/7pm Mountain
- Apr 5, 2023 (Wed) - 8pm Eastern/7pm Central
- Apr 11, 2023 (Tues) - 7pm Eastern/6pm Central
- May 3, 2023 (Wed) - 8pm Mountain/7pm Pacific
- May 9, 2023 (Tues) - 8pm Eastern/7pm Central
- May 17, 2023 (Wed) - 8pm Central/7pm Mountain
- Jun 1, 2023 (Thur) - 8pm Mountain/7pm Pacific
Sign up below to bring this free event to your school community:
Why School PTO and PTA Groups Love This Event!
- Presented by an Internet safety professional from global cybersecurity leader Trend Micro
- Accessible to all families—done over Zoom and available in multiple languages
- It’s free for all schools
- Appropriate for parents of kids of all ages
- Title I parent and family engagement approved!
- Parents have the opportunity to chat (in real time) with others attending from across the country—and feel supported during this shared experience
Family Tech Talk Is Hosted by Professional Internet Safety Experts
Lynette Owens, Founder and Global Director of Trend Micro’s Internet Safety for Kids and Families program, has worked with PTO Today for more than 12 years to offer Family Tech Talk—a free parent education event—to families via PTO and PTA groups. Lynette or another Internet safety expert from her team will deliver an engaging presentation and Q&A over Zoom for parents (you can invite other local schools to attend, too!). With 20-plus years in the tech industry, Lynette speaks and blogs regularly on how to help kids become great digital citizens. She works with communities and school districts across the United States and around the world to support online safety, digital and media literacy, and digital citizenship education. She is a board member of the National Association for Media Literacy Education, is an advisory committee member of the Digital Wellness Lab, and serves on the advisory boards of INHOPE and U.S. Safer Internet Day.
Why Your Group Should Educate Parents About Internet Safety
Our increasingly digital world is changing faster than most parents can keep up, and often, children know more about it than the grown-ups! It’s not just about knowing the newest trends; it’s also about how to make smart, safe choices, how to balance time spent online and off-, and knowing the importance of being considerate and respectful of others (as well as yourself). Family Tech Talk makes it possible for PTO and PTA groups to connect their school’s parents with an Internet safety expert so that families talk openly about digital responsibility, online safety for kids, privacy settings, and why it’s all so important.
What PTO and PTA Leaders Say About Family Tech Talk
“This generated many conversations between parents and kids. I look forward to hosting this event yearly.”
—A. Gonzalez-Torres, Uplift Pinnacle, Dallas, TX
“Many of my parents are really on top of the tech situation at home, yet everybody admitted they learned something new. I did, as well!”
—C. Ogoe, Mahanay Elementary, Houston, TX
What Is Digital Citizenship?
Being a good digital citizen is much the same as being a good citizen offline—it means being mindful, careful, and considerate when using technology and spending time online. Interacting digitally is just part of the everyday norm for kids now—whether consuming online content like games and vlogs, “hanging out” in social communities like Instagram, or exchanging texts and snaps with friends. As these types of digital interactions increase, so too does the importance of good digital citizenship and making smart, safe choices online.
Digital Citizenship Week is celebrated the third week of October each year; plan your Family Tech Talk event (or reserve an event date) in honor of Digital Citizenship Week!
Oct. 17-21, 2022
Oct. 16-20, 2023
Bring this free Internet safety event to your school’s parents. Sign up below!
Still have questions? Call us at 800-644-3561; we’re here to help.