The 2017 Parent Group of the Year search is closed.
Call 800-644-3561 x208 or
Celebrate and share your group’s work and you could win cash and prizes for your school. Whether you’re a PTO, PTA, HSA, PTC, etc., entering PTO Today’s 2017 Parent Group of the Year search is easy, and all K-8 parent groups are eligible!
Read more about the 2017 winners.
2017 Parent Group of Year
It’s Easy To Apply
Eight individual categories to choose from, and you can enter in more than one!
Lots of Chances To Win
$3,000 Grand Prize and $500 for each Category Winner!
Frequently Asked Questions
Find quick answers to all of your Parent Group of the Year questions.
Read more about the prizewinners.
This year's Parent Group of the Year search is now closed.
We want to shine a spotlight on the great, often under-appreciated, work being done by parent groups at elementary and middle schools across the country. Enter in as many categories as you’d like; we’ll automatically consider you for the National Parent Group of the Year and Judge’s Choice awards.
National Parent Group of the Year
The Parent Group of the Year has superior all-around involvement efforts and emphasizes a variety of accomplishments and activities, including family events. All entrants are automatically considered for this award.
A parent group that shows overall outstanding effort or outstanding focus in a particular program or event area, selected by the judges from among the entries.2016 Winners
Outstanding Parent Group at a Small School
(200 students or fewer)
Creatively supports parent involvement and student achievement, even with a limited base of volunteers.
Outstanding Parent Group at a Private or Parochial School
Religious or secular school parent group that shows a commitment to school/home connections.
Outstanding Focus on Academics & Enrichment
An event or program that supplemented the school’s offerings in the arts or a curriculum area, or supported goals for improvement in those areas.
Outstanding Family Event
An activity for parents and kids together, especially if it also enhances families' connection to the school.
Outstanding Fundraising Program
A program or event that shows widespread engagement of the school community while also contributing to the financial security of the parent group.
Outstanding Major Project or Program
A special effort to enhance any aspect of teaching, learning, or student recreation, especially if it has a unique impact.
Outstanding Outreach to a Diverse School Community
Successfully and consistently involves parents and families from different cultures, socioeconomic backgrounds, etc., in the group’s efforts and activities throughout the year.
Outstanding Community Service Project
A project spearheaded by the parent group, with involvement by students, parents, faculty, and/or administrators to benefit others.
Why should we enter?
Enter the Parent Group of the Year search to showcase all your hard work and increase awareness about your group. Choose from eight categories, including Outstanding Family Event and Outstanding Community Service Project, and we'll automatically consider you for Judges' Choice and the grand prize of National Parent Group of the Year.
There are so many great stories to tell—why not share yours? Tell us about an event/activity or what you do best. Tell us about accomplishments your group has had throughout the school year.
How can we enter?
Entering is simple!
- Decide on your group's strongest category—and remember, you can pick more than one! It's up to you. You'll automatically be entered for the grand prize.
- Write a few pages or more about what your group did, why you did it, and the results.
- Complete the online form to enter.
You can get more creative by including materials or information from the events and activities your group sponsors, but it's not required. Tell us what you did, how you did it, and the results for a specific project or the entire school year. It's that simple. More hints for Parent Group of the Year entries.
Congratulations to all the winners!
Winners may be featured in the September issue of PTO Today, on PTOtoday.com, or both. Read more about the prizewinners in September by clicking the links below, or find out more about past winners in the Parent Group Hall of Fame.
The following groups were selected as Honorable Mention:
- Anderson Creek Primary PTO, Bunlevel, NC
- Angus Elementary PTO, Sterling Heights, MI
- Apple Pie Ridge Elementary PTO, Winchester, VA
- Arp Elementary PTO, Arp, TX
- Atlantic Beach Elementary PTA, Atlantic Beach, FL
- Aucilla Christian Academy PTO, Monticello, FL
- Barkhamsted Elementary PTO, Barkhamsted, CT
- Belinder Elementary PTA, Prairie Village, KS
- Benson Middle School PTO, Benson, AZ
- Benton Elementary PTO, Benton, ME
- Benton Elementary PTO, Neosho, MO
- Berlin Township Schools PEACE, Berlin Township, NJ
- Biotech@Richmond Heights 9-12 High School PTSA, Miami, FL
- Biscayne Elementary PTA, Miami Beach, FL
- Blessed Sacrament Catholic School PTC, San Antonio, TX
- Blue Ridge Middle School PTA, Greer, SC
- Bluestem Elementary PTO, Leon, KS
- Bracher Elementary PTA, Santa Clara, CA
- Brandenburg Elementary PTO, Irving, TX
- Brecht Elementary PTO, Lancaster, PA
- Bridgewater Middle School PTSO, Winter Garden, FL
- Bucyrus Elementary PTO, Bucyrus, OH
- Butler Avenue Elementary PTSO, Clinton, NC
- Byram Middle School PTO, Terry, MS
- Cactus Valley Elementary PTA, Silt, CO
- Calvin Coolidge Elementary PTA, Lansing, IL
- Carnegie Elementary PTO, Carnegie, OK
- Casar Elementary PTO, Casar, NC
- Cave Spring Elementary PTA, Roanoke, VA
- Cedar Ridge Elementary PTA, Tulsa, OK
- Central Elementary PTO, Petoskey, MI
- Chapel District Elementary PTO, Cordova, MD
- Circle Benton Elementary PTO, Benton, KS
- Cleveland School Parent Group, San Francisco, CA
- Clifdale Elementary PTO, Spartanburg, SC
- CMIT Academy PTO, Laurel, MD
- Cory Rawon SOS, Rawson, OH
- Crestview Elementary PFA, Indianapolis, IN
- Crockett Elementary Parent Group, Houston, TX
- Danville School PreK-12 Parent Group, Danville, VT
- Davisburg Elementary PTC, Davisburg, MI
- D.G. Cooley Elementary PTO, Berryville, VA
- Discovery Charter School PTO, Inver Grove Heights, MN
- Ditson Elementary DSA, Billerica, MA
- Donald E. Schick Elementary PTO, Montoursville, PA
- Downe Township Elementary PTO, Newport, NJ
- Dunwoody Elementary PTO, Dunwoody, GA
- El Morro and Top of the World Elementaries and Thurston Middle School Parent Mentors, Laguna Beach, CA
- Ellinwood Grade School PAC, Ellinwood, KS
- Elm Creek Elementary PTO, Maple Grove, MN
- Emerson Elementary PTA, Parkersburg, WV
- Emerson Elementary PTCO, Fitzwilliam, NH
- Eugenio Maria de Hostos MicroSociety School PTA, Yonkers, NY
- Everett Elementary WOW4U@Everett, Everett, PA
- Falls Elementary PTO, North Attleboro, MA
- Flying Hills Elementary PTO, El Cajon, CA
- Fort Miami Elementary PTO, Maumee, OH
- Francophone Charter School of Oakland FCSC, Oakland, CA
- Franklin Elementary PTA, Lyndhurst, NJ
- Franklin Elementary PTG, Spokane, WA
- Glenham Elementary PTO, Fishkill, NY
- Golden Oak Montessori PTO, Castro Valley, CA
- Greenacres Elementary PTC, Greenacres, FL
- Grover Beach Elementary PTO, Grover Beach, CA
- Hamzah Academy, Alpharetta, GA
- Hardeman R-10 PTO, Marshall, MO
- Harry Dewey Elementary PTO, Fair Oaks, CA
- Haynes Charter for Enriched Studies PTO, West Hills, CA
- Heath Middle School PTO, Heath, OH
- Henderson Elementary PTA, Barstow, CA
- Hillside Learning and Behavior PTO, Allegan, MI
- Hollywood Hills High School PTSO, HOLLYWOOD, FL
- Holmquist Elementary Family Center ROCKS!, Houston, TX
- Hope Valley Elementary PTO, Hope Valley, RI
- Horizon Elementary PTO, Hanover Park, IL
- Independence Elementary PTA, Aliquippa, PA
- J.T. Roberts PreK-8 School PTO, Syracuse, NY
- John B. Stanton Elementary PTO, Norwich, CT
- John C. Milanesi Elementary PTO, Buena, NJ
- J.T. Hood School PA, North Reading, MA
- Judith P. Hoyer Montessori School PTSA, Landover, MD
- Kingwood Township School PTA, Frenchtown, NJ
- Lafayette Elementary PTO, Bound Brook, NJ
- Lake Valley Elementary PTA, Prescott Valley, AZ
- Las Juntas Elementary PTA, Martinez, CA
- Laukhuf Elementary PTA, Louisville, KY
- Laurelville Elementary PTO, Laurelville, OH
- Liberty Elementary PTO, Baltimore, MD
- Loring Flemming Elementary PEC, Blackwood, NJ
- Los Coyotes Elementary PTSO, La Palma, CA
- Louisiana Key Academy PC, Baton Rouge, LA
- Maddux Elementary PTO, West Memphis, AR
- Manor Oaks Elementary PTA, New Hyde Park, NY
- Maple Glen Elementary PTO, Westfield, IN
- Matthews Elementary PTO, Matthews, NC
- Meadowview Elementary PTO, Jacksonville, NC
- Michigan Avenue School PTA, Cleveland, TN
- Middle Gate Elementary PTA, Newtown, CT
- Minnesota New Country School Nuts and Bolts, Henderson, MN
- Muenster ISD PTO, Muenster, TX
- Munger Hill Elementary PTO, Westfield, MA
- Nasonville Elementary PTO, Marshfield, WI
- Nelson Elementary PTA, Dover, FL
- Newcastle ECC & Elementary PTO, Newcastle, OK
- North Woods International School T.E.A.M., La Crosse, WI
- Northgate Elementary PTO, Seattle, WA
- Northwoods Elementary PTA, Cary, NC
- Oak View Elementary PTO, Maple Grove, MN
- Oliver Partnership School PTO, Lawrence, MA
- Osage R-2 PTO, Linn, MO
- P.S. 147 PTA, Brooklyn, NY
- Parklane Elementary PTO, East Point, GA
- Pate’s Creek Elementary PTO, Stockbridge, GA
- Paw Paw Schools PTO, Paw Paw, IL
- Pennington Elementary PES, Nashville, TN
- Perrymonth Elementary PACT, Lynchburg, VA
- Pocahontas Elementary PTO, Powhatan, VA
- Pocasset Elementary PTO, Tiverton, RI
- Prairie Lea ISD PTO, Prairie Lea, TX
- Prunedale School PTO, Salinas, CA
- R.R. Oehrli Elementary PTO, Montague, MI
- Ramblewood Elementary PTO, Coral Springs, FL
- REACH Academy PTO, West Harrison, NY
- Riverdale Elementary PTO, Dedham, MA
- Romeoville Christian Academy PTO, Romeoville, IL
- Rooney Ranch Elementary PTA, Lakewood, CO
- Rudy Elementary PTA, Colorado Springs, CO
- Runnymede Elementary PTO, Westminster, MD
- Rye Elementary & Rye Junior High PTA, Rye, NH
- Saint James Elementary PTA, Saint James, NY
- Sand Hill Attendance Center PTO, Richton, MS
- Santo Nino Regional Catholic School PTO, Santa Fe, NM
- School 13 PTO, Paterson, NJ
- Seabreeze Elementary PTA, Jacksonville Beach, FL
- Seven Oaks Classical School PTCA, Ellettsville, IN
- Sierramont Middle School PTSA, San Jose, CA
- Skyline Ranch K-8 PTO, San Tan Valley, AZ
- South Hialeah Elementary PTA, Hialeah, FL
- South Oceanside Elementary PTO, Oceanside, CA
- South Ward Elementary PTA, Longview, TX
- South Wasco County District 1 PTO, Maupin, OR
- St. Catherine of Bologna School HSA, Ringwood, NJ
- St. Gabriel School HSA, Hubertus, WI
- St. Helens Catholic School PTO, Fresno, CA
- St. Luke Catholic School PTC, San Antonio, TX
- St. Mary Catholic Elementary Home and School Association, Lancaster, OH
- St. Odilo School PTC, Berwyn, IL
- St. Paul’s Lutheran School PTO, Waverly, IA
- Stanley Elementary PTO, Stanley, VA
- Stone Elementary PTO, Crossville, TN
- Tar River Elementary PTSO, Franklinton, NC
- Temple Hill Academy PTO, New Windsor, NY
- The Bright School PA, Chattanooga, TN
- Thomas Jefferson Elementary PTO, Kingsport, TN
- Tri-City Elementary PVG, Buffalo, IL
- Unadilla Elementary PTO, Unadilla, NY
- VHM Christian School PTO, Santa Cruz, CA
- Walker Station Elementary PTO, Sugar Land, TX
- Walnut Elementary Education Center PTO, Turlock, CA
- Walnut Ridge Primary School SCA, Vernon, NJ
- Welch Elementary PTO, Newnan, GA
- West Hills Elementary PTO, Kittanning, PA
- West Hollow Middle School PTA, Melville, NY
- Whitney Intermediate School PTO, Whitney, TX
- Wild Rose Elementary PTO, Saint Charles, IL
- Wilkins Elementary PTO, Marion, IA
- Woodland CCSD 50 PTA, Gurnee, IL
- Woodlands School PTO, Milwaukee, WI
- Woodrow Wilson Charter Academy Parent Teacher Organization, Westminster, CO
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who can enter?
PTO Today's Parent Group of the Year search is open to all elementary and middle school (K-8) parent groups: PTO, PTA, HSA, PTC, etc. Parent groups at other schools such as high schools may still enter, but should be aware that the main audience of PTO Today is K-8 parent groups.
2. How many categories can my group enter?
Groups may enter in as many categories as they wish.
3. How many winners will be selected?
Nine winners will be chosen, one in each of seven individual categories plus a national winner and judges' choice winner. We'll also name several dozen honorable mentions, and every group that enters will receive a certificate of achievement.
4. Does PTO Today promote the winning groups?
Winners will be featured on PTOtoday.com and/or in the September issue of PTO Today magazine.
5. When will the winners be notified?
Winners will be notified in late summer.
6. Will my entry materials be returned?
Entries are held for review until the September issue of PTO Today magazine is published. If you'd like your materials returned, please feel free to contact us in September.
7. Who sponsors the Parent Group of the Year search?
PTO Today organizes, runs, and judges the annual Parent Group of the Year search.
1. Get together with your group and decide on your group's strongest category (or categories).
2. Work with your group to coordinate the necessary materials—make it an activity and reflect on what you've accomplished for your school.
3. Don't be afraid to brag; this is your chance to get recognition for all your hard work!
4. Judges favor groups that create a plan and follow through on it. The judges also tend to favor groups with a strong focus on parent involvement.
5. Be creative with your entry. Include photos, reviews, testimonials from parents and teachers, newspaper clippings, web links—you name it! It's not required, but the more information you send, the easier it will be to see just how fabulous your year has been. Winners don't necessarily have the most elaborate entries, however; it can be as simple as a basic Word document, as long as it demonstrates why your group deserves to be recognized.
6. Remember that outstanding groups come in all shapes and sizes. It's what you've achieved that counts.
7. Start preparing your entry now. Save, collect, and organize information from each of your activities as you hold them. You'll find information more quickly and easily when putting together your entry.
Optional Questions To Help You Get Started
1. What are your parent group’s goals, and how did you meet them?
2. What was your most notable accomplishment of the year?
3. Describe the best program or event that you run (if different)
4. What does your group do to build parent involvement?
5. Where did the idea come from? Is this the first time you’ve run this event or program?
6. What were your goals for the activity?
7. What steps did you take to plan and execute it?
8. Describe, in detail, what occurred.
9. How did you fund it?
10. Why was it successful?
11. What would you do differently next time?