Question: Legal\accounting advice

I am on a PTO board for a private school that is closing, and have several questions about how to legally use our funds, and dissolve. We also have issues with our non-profit status that need to be considered. I am wondering if these questions are more applicable to a lawyer or accountant. Does anyone have advice on how to find a good expert that will understand the requirements for a PTO?

Asked by PTO_VA



Advice from PTO Today

Rose H writes:
Sorry to hear your news. One starting point is to see a recommendation from either your town/city legal counsel or the school's legal counsel. You can ask them to direct you to either a lawyer or accountant, noting that it needs to be someone with non-profit advice. Also, you could consider seeking advice from PTOs in your community. One of those groups could give you a good referral to someone who has the non-profit expertise. Good luck.

Answer this question: