Question: Playing pto detective

I took over as Treasuer last year and found myself playing catch up! We call ourselves a PTO but all our paperwork says PTA(EIN)etc, however the state days there is no reccord of us. I am playing catch up on taxes so we can go forward with our 501c3 but what do I do to get the ball rolling here for our name change when the state can't even find us?

Asked by lisasgirlz



Advice from PTO Today

Rockne writes:
Hi lisa - I'd likely start over as an entirely new group. Might be your easiste course of action. Tim

Advice from PTO Today

Craig writes:
To elaborate a bit on what Tim says, the IRS considers your organization new based on the date you incorporate. This is important because when you file Form 1023, the application for tax-exempt 501c3 status, you will be asked to include financial information from the date your group started (or at least the last five years, if your group is older than that). If you're going to incorporate, and we highly recommend that you do, you can use your existing EIN and give your group a new name on the incorporation papers. You then use the new name when applying for 501c3 status. If you're not going to incorporate, then it might be easiest to start with a new EIN so that, for one thing, you won't have to gather five years worth of financial information. Note that you get an EIN from the IRS (Form SS-4), but you file incorporation papers with the state. Good luck!

Community Advice

NickleB writes:
Check your spelling. The State had our name as Jorden not Jordan

Answer this question: