Question: Booster Club vs. PTO

Currently we are a booster club and although I know there is not much difference from what we do and what a PTO does we are looking to change the name. Our new parents and some existing parents are only associating the group with the athletics but we do so much more academically as well. Is this just a name change or will this affect our 501(c)(3) status too?

Asked by Anonymous



Advice from PTO Today

Rose H writes:
We recently had a parent submit a very similar question and here's what one of our editors had to say: ou can simply vote to change your name in your bylaws. You don't need an attorney. Typically to update your bylaws you need to give your membership prior notice that you will be discussing that issue, and it needs to pass by a two-thirds vote. If your group is incorporated, you also need to change your name on your incorporation papers. Contact your state corporations office to find out how to do that. If your group is a 501c3 public charity, you need to attach an updated copy of your bylaws (and incorporation papers, if applicable) when you file your next form 990 with the IRS. If you're incorporated, include proof that the change has been registered with your state. If you're not incorporated, two officers must sign the copy of the bylaws. Here's a link to the IRS webpage that spells this out.,,id=172533,00.html

Answer this question: