Question: Tax exempt Number vs non-profit status

I am wondering if we have a tax exempt number from the state if we are also considered a tax exempt organization ie: 501c3? Do we have to file a 1023 form in order to be considered tax exempt organization

Asked by Anonymous



Advice from PTO Today

Craig writes:
To become tax exempt at the federal level, you have to file form 1023. Once you are approved, most states also consider you tax exempt. (But in some states you have to file a separate state form.) This process is for income tax. Some states also issue a "tax exempt number" for sales tax, which is completely separate.

Answer this question: