Question: Hiring a part-time employee to run an after school program

Our PTO board would like to hire someone on a part-time basis to run an after school program. What is the best way to do this?

Asked by wesptoboard



Advice from PTO Today

Craig writes:
The most common way to do this is to hire the person as a contractor, preferably for a set amount. If that amount is $600 or more, you'll need to issue IRS form 1099 to the person at the end of the year. An alternative is to have the school hire this person, but that can be complicated, depending on the hiring rules and work rules the school must follow. The one thing you absolutely don't want to do is to hire the person as a regular employee of the PTO. That puts your group into a significantly more complex tax and filing situation with both the IRS and your state.

Answer this question: