Question: IRS Form SS-4 - Responsible Party

I've recently been told (by an attorney) the IRS will not allow our PTO's to use the schools EIN # to establish their own EIN. Specifically IRS Form SS-4 Line 7a and 7b. (this position contradicts the PTO Start Up Tool Kit) I feel it is completely unreasonable to ask a parent volunteer to provide their social security # on this form. Has anyone recently applied for an EIN # and bee allowed or denied permission to use the school's EIN #? Any help would be MUCH APPRECIATED.

Asked by Anonymous



Community Advice

gjcoram writes:
It looks like the attorney is right:
All EIN applications (mail, fax, phone, electronic) must disclose the name and Taxpayer Identification Number (SSN, ITIN, or EIN) of the true principal officer, general partner, grantor, owner or trustor.

This from:

Community Advice

gjcoram writes:
However, I would call the IRS directly. You can apply for an EIN over the phone, and certainly the IRS would be able to tell you whether there are special rules for non-profits. The IRS agents at the non-profits division have been very helpful in my experience. (However, someone else had done the SS-4 for my organization, so I don't have direct experience with that.)

Answer this question: