Question: Tax Emept Paper Work---Where to Start???

Our Treasurer was able to get us Tax Emempt. However, after doing so she quit the PTO. Now what do we do??? We have tons of paper work to go through and file and none of us know where to start or what we are doing....

Asked by lovethyneighbor



Advice from PTO Today

Rose H writes:
Hi lovetheyneighbor,
Are you looking to file for 501c(3) status with the IRS or are you looking to just get your financial house in order right now? If you are looking for information on 501c(3)s, I'd recommend you take a look at our article, 501c(3) for PTOs as a first step.

This article, Taxes, PTOs, and the IRS, will also be helpful.

If you are getting organized after a quick departure of your treasurer, the tax exempt number is actually an identification number and it alone doesn't allow your group to function like a tax-exempt organization.

Take some time to sort through all the paperwork you have and identify it. We are happy to answer additional questions as they come up.


Community Advice

gjcoram writes:
Did your former treasurer just get you a tax ID number, or did she actually go and file Form 1023 and get your status confirmed as a 501(c)(3) organization?

Answer this question: