Message Boards



The forum is in read only mode.
Looking for advice? Join us on Facebook

Get advice, ideas, and support from other parent group leaders just like you—join our closed Facebook group for PTO and PTA Leaders & Volunteers .

In a!

5 years 9 months ago #172658 by CherylB
Replied by CherylB on topic In a!
Hi Bonsinct,

You need to get an EIN number in order to open a bank account so this is a good first step. We also recommend incorporating first then file for federal tax-exempt status. Incorporating will protect the officers personal assets, it will create a clean slate (you can start from scratch) and if you incorporate as a nonprofit in your state then become tax-exempt at the federal level you can follow up and become exempt from paying state-level income and sales tax. Here are some links to help you out:

Best of luck Cheryl-PTO Today
5 years 10 months ago #172631 by Bonsinct
I have recently taken over the treasurer position at our schools PTO. The old board discovered that we don’t have tax exempt status and taxes have never been filed! Arg! If I had known this I probably wouldn’t have volunteered.. but here I am. Anyway, a few of us discussed the possibility of becoming a PTA instead. I know we will have to apply for a new EIN number but can we do this? Since are essentially looking to start anew what happens to our current account with $12000 in it? I’m sorry if this has been asked before, I just don’t know what to do but know it’s important we are doing things legally and properly. Any guidance or feedback is appreciated. We are a small PTO and not generating a ton of funds. Thanks!
Time to create page: 0.324 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum
^ Top