Question: Accomodations for disabled...who's responsible?

PTO pays for buses for field trips however we have a child in a wheelchair who needs a special bus. Who should pay for this PTO (additional $300 for the bus) or Special Ed dept ? Are there written guidelines to this?

Asked by Anonymous



Advice from PTO Today

Craig writes:
In my opinion, the PTO should pay. If you're going to pay for buses for a field trip, then accessibility is part of the cost. If you can't afford the total cost, that's one thing -- you should negotiate that with the school. But I don't think a PTO should ever be in the position to be accused of saying, figuratively or literally, "We'll pay for every child except that one." Even if you don't intend it that way -- and I'm sure you don't -- it can certainly have that appearance.

Answer this question: