Question: State Taxes

Hi, We are a new PTO in Massachusetts and recently received approval on our 501 C3 status. Do we need to file paperwork to receive tax exempt status for the state of MA as well?

Asked by csangy10804



Advice from PTO Today

Craig writes:
You need to send a copy of your IRS approval letter to the Corporate Exemptions Division of the Massachusetts Department of Revenue. According to the secretary of state's office, once you have filed the IRS letter with Corporate Exemptions, you do not have to file any subsequent Massachusetts corporate income tax.

Here's a link with more detailed information:

It's also important to file with the Non-Profit Organizations/Public Charities Division of the state attorney general's office. This isn't for tax purposes, but (almost) all nonprofits are required to register with the attorney general's office.

Community Advice

zoezin writes:
Can I ask you how much it cost to file in MA? We were told we cannot get 501 c 3 status because it "cost" too much.

Community Advice

csangy10804 writes:
Costs for all the filings we have done so far:
$400 for the Federal 501C3 status (used Form 1023-EZ)
$40 to register as an entity with the MA Secretary of State
$100 to register as a public charity with the Attorney General's office
$50 for Form A2 to allow you to "solicit funds" via gaming, raffles, etc.

Answer this question: