Question: Renaming PTO and Tax Status

We are considering changing our name. Do we need to modify our tax exemption and IRS documents to reflect that?

Asked by opactreasurer



Community Advice

CherylB writes:
Hi, I you are a 501c3 I think that you have to notify the IRS and they would issue a new determination letter with the new name. There may be additional things you need to do in filing Form 990-EZ. If you are not a 501c3 this may be a great time to become "official". You may also have to call to see if there is any state-level exemption or incorporation that you need to change as well. You should contact your state corporations office to see what is required. Good luck-Cheryl-PTO Today

Answer this question: