Message Boards

× Comments, Questions, and Feedback on the PTO Today Message Boards & Community.

chartering a boy scout troop

9 years 9 months ago #151978 by PFO Pres
chartering a boy scout troop was created by PFO Pres
Has anyone ever dealt with this...? Our PFO has recently been asked to charter a new Boy Scout pack at our school. Are there any ramifications to our organization for doing this? Will it affect our non-profit status? Would love some advice!
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #152356 by
Replied by on topic chartering a boy scout troop
Yes we charter our boy scout troop at our school. We've been doing it for years without any incident. In the beginning of the school year I must sign documents relating to possible troop leaders and submit to a background check. Otherwise, I don't hear from them for the rest of the year :)
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #155364 by Rockne
Replied by Rockne on topic chartering a boy scout troop
We've discussed this several times in the past (couldn't find the good links), and I know lots of PTOs and PTAs do do this, but I would definitely hesitate.

I still don't get why scouts operate this way. They're the only org. I've ever heard needing this kind of chartering organization. The Elks or the little league don't need a differetn, unrelated non-profit to charter them.

I don't know for a fact there are legal implications, but I certainly suspect that this type of annual charter relationship could spread some liability and risk to your group. It sure feels like an official relationship.

This doesn't mean scouts are bad (and if you decline to charter the scouts it doesn't mean you think scouts are bad), but the PTO has its own functions and goals that keep you very busy. You don't charter the local cancer society or senior center -- and they're great org's too.

My advice is for the scouts to adjust their policies to work more like nearly every other local do-good org. I advise caution here.

Tim

PTO Today Founder
8 years 11 months ago #155377 by CA PTA President
Replied by CA PTA President on topic chartering a boy scout troop
Unbeknown to our PTO board, a long standing board member chartered a boy scout group for many years. She apparently signed all the charter paperwork and signed off on behalf of our pto board. It came to light this year when she moved her family from the school and the boy scout troop sought charter renewal. Several members of our board immediately started researching what exactly chartering meant to pto clubs.

What I can tell you is that the national pta has recommended against boy scout charters. The primary reason is liability exposure for the pta/pto.

The boy scouts presented a charter agreement for our pto to sign. Out of 6 items on the "contract", 4 of them our pto couldn't agree to because they were obligations which we would never become involved with. One of them related to our pto having to "approve" the new scouts leaders. Our question to the scouts was, how could we approve leaders when were not part of the background investigation/fingerprinting and we are not part of the boy scouts organization. They insisted it was just a formality and they just needed someone outside the organization to sign off. One of the other terms was that we would provide them with a place to hold their meetings. Since we do not own property (the school district does), we couldn't agree to that term either.

In the end, due to potential pto liability exposure, we voted not to renew the charter. We helped them find a local Lions Club to charter them. Our insurance specifically excluded chartering any scouts, so that was the deal breaker for us. There is a reason why insurance carriers make exclusions.

I would be very hesitant about chartering boy scouts. There are just too many what ifs and unknowns and your organization could be impacted if there was any legal action. To me, it isn't worth the risk. Boy scouts, in my opinion, needs to revamp their chartering agreements and/or restructure the way they conduct themselves.
8 years 11 months ago #155385 by patricia311@comcast.net
I have done both. I am in SW PA, no it should not effect your non profit status, nor should they conflict in any way. Different fundraisers, different parents, kids everything. Scounting in our area is not as big as PTO or PTA.
Our Pres. is both PTO and Den Leader. I give her a GREAT amount of credit.
Everyone is thankful there are parents and guardians willing to donate all this time and alot of effort.
Good luck! Everything aways turns out great w/ postive attitudes.
8 years 11 months ago #155386 by patricia311@comcast.net
Follow up----Boy Scouts and PTO are 2 separate groups! The school is the sponcer for the kid's in the district. Nothing w/PTO. Please contact Moraine Trails Council in Butler PA for further guidence and advice BEFORE you write the Scouts off- I think there is a misunderstanding here.
Also, you might want to contact your School Board or Admin. for input.
Once again-please do "homework." before writing off a good organization. Rules may differ state to state. This is my knowledge from Pennsylvania.
CALL, CALL, Internet, Internet, Search, Search
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds