Message Boards

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Welcome to the Message Boards
Join the conversation! No soliciting or ads, please. Registration is not required but encouraged to get the most out of our community features.

Looking for advice? Join us on Facebook

Get advice, ideas, and support from other parent group leaders just like you—join our closed Facebook group for PTO and PTA Leaders & Volunteers .

Themes for Teacher Appreciation Luncheons

15 years 3 months ago #65665 by dubbledee
Replied by dubbledee on topic RE: Themes for Teacher Appreciation Luncheons
Serendipity -- that's a wonderful suggestion. I think contacting and getting local businesses involved is a good idea. I do live in a small town with "Mom & Pop" businesses. I was originally going to rely upon Costco/Sam's Club for the items but I bet the locals would appreciate any advertising that we could do to feature supporters of this luncheon.
15 years 3 months ago #65666 by <boysmom>
Replied by <boysmom> on topic RE: Themes for Teacher Appreciation Luncheons
You know, I worried about the Italian food with all our dieters too. Funny thing, those carb counters polished off every last bite--including the garlic bread and cookies!
15 years 3 months ago #65667 by dubbledee
I'm not surprised -- it is hard to resist all that good stuff! ;)
15 years 3 months ago #65668 by pwalther
Replied by pwalther on topic RE: Themes for Teacher Appreciation Luncheons
My first year doing this event I went with a Garden theme and did a salad luncheon: pasta salad, taco salad, chicken salad, potato salad, etc... I served the salads in sand pails with the shovels and used brown paper on the tables with strips of astroturf down the middle with some potted flowers.

Another year I did the Western BBq theme as well. I served them BBQ beef sandwiches, BBQ potato chips, Baked beans, coleslaw, etc... I used demin fabric on the tables with some little hay bales and toy horses.

This year I am planning a Brunch Lunch. All of the yummy foods that you would see at a nice brunch buffet. Maybe some virgin mimosas. I haven't quite finished planning all of the nuances.

Hope this helps.
15 years 3 months ago #65669 by dubbledee
Hiya pwalther -- I like your "multiple salads" idea. It might be easier to get people to prepare and donate salads as compared to coming in and serving hot foods for lunch waves. Often I find that it is difficult to get servers/helpers to come in during the schoolday once the kids reach middle school.

What did you do for desserts?
15 years 3 months ago #65670 by pwalther
Replied by pwalther on topic RE: Themes for Teacher Appreciation Luncheons
I tried to keep with my theme (Garden) for the desserts. I had a friend make a caterpillar cake using a bundt cake. I also had the instructions to do a butterfly but I liked the caterpillar better. The teachers loved it!! Then we also made lemon & spice cupcakes and chocolate dirt/worm cupcakes.

Serving has always been an issue for me even at the elementary level. So I just got people for clean-up and set-up and I stayed to serve. Most of the time the teachers helped themselves.

Last year I did a Spa luncheon. I got the local spa to come in and do mini massages, I had little goodie bags (dollar store items) and salad bar (unlimited toppings),deli trays, etc... I made sure I had people to serve on this day. Even their drinks!!
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds