Message Boards

Themes for Teacher Appreciation Luncheons

14 years 8 months ago #65665 by dubbledee
Replied by dubbledee on topic Themes for Teacher Appreciation Luncheons
Serendipity -- that's a wonderful suggestion. I think contacting and getting local businesses involved is a good idea. I do live in a small town with "Mom & Pop" businesses. I was originally going to rely upon Costco/Sam's Club for the items but I bet the locals would appreciate any advertising that we could do to feature supporters of this luncheon.
14 years 8 months ago #65666 by <boysmom>
Replied by <boysmom> on topic Themes for Teacher Appreciation Luncheons
You know, I worried about the Italian food with all our dieters too. Funny thing, those carb counters polished off every last bite--including the garlic bread and cookies!
14 years 8 months ago #65667 by dubbledee
I'm not surprised -- it is hard to resist all that good stuff! ;)
14 years 8 months ago #65668 by pwalther
Replied by pwalther on topic Themes for Teacher Appreciation Luncheons
My first year doing this event I went with a Garden theme and did a salad luncheon: pasta salad, taco salad, chicken salad, potato salad, etc... I served the salads in sand pails with the shovels and used brown paper on the tables with strips of astroturf down the middle with some potted flowers.

Another year I did the Western BBq theme as well. I served them BBQ beef sandwiches, BBQ potato chips, Baked beans, coleslaw, etc... I used demin fabric on the tables with some little hay bales and toy horses.

This year I am planning a Brunch Lunch. All of the yummy foods that you would see at a nice brunch buffet. Maybe some virgin mimosas. I haven't quite finished planning all of the nuances.

Hope this helps.
14 years 8 months ago #65669 by dubbledee
Hiya pwalther -- I like your "multiple salads" idea. It might be easier to get people to prepare and donate salads as compared to coming in and serving hot foods for lunch waves. Often I find that it is difficult to get servers/helpers to come in during the schoolday once the kids reach middle school.

What did you do for desserts?
14 years 8 months ago #65670 by pwalther
Replied by pwalther on topic Themes for Teacher Appreciation Luncheons
I tried to keep with my theme (Garden) for the desserts. I had a friend make a caterpillar cake using a bundt cake. I also had the instructions to do a butterfly but I liked the caterpillar better. The teachers loved it!! Then we also made lemon & spice cupcakes and chocolate dirt/worm cupcakes.

Serving has always been an issue for me even at the elementary level. So I just got people for clean-up and set-up and I stayed to serve. Most of the time the teachers helped themselves.

Last year I did a Spa luncheon. I got the local spa to come in and do mini massages, I had little goodie bags (dollar store items) and salad bar (unlimited toppings),deli trays, etc... I made sure I had people to serve on this day. Even their drinks!!
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds