The teachers’ lounge at Bridgewater Middle School in Winter Garden, Fla., recently got a sweet upgrade featuring the likes of Cookie Monster, Oprah, and Baby Yoda.
Everyone knows being a middle school teacher requires a thick skin and a sense of humor (IYKYK), so the BMS PTSO got creative and decided to stock the teachers’ lounge with snacks peppered with funny memes:
@ptotoday Stock the Teachers’ Lounge: Meme Edition #teacherappreciation #PTOlife #ptopresident #ptomomsoftiktok #ptapresident #schoolvolunteer #meme ♬ Printer print sound (ink-jet, room) - LEOPARD
With $130 from the PTSO’s budget and the rest funded through parent donations, the team was able to stock the lounge with snacks and drinks for 100 staff members. As for teacher reactions, Bridgewater PTSO shared, “They absolutely loved the memes! Money well spent!!”
The Cogburn Woods PTO in Milton, Ga., was able to stock its lounge for 85 teachers—not once, but twice this school year—thanks entirely to parent donations. PTO leader Jen DuFore shared that they used SignUp Genius to create a list of specific items for parents to donate (you can even download their list as an Excel spreadsheet). They also ran a PayPal campaign to raise money for perishables that the PTO used to buy yogurt, protein packs, hummus, guacamole, and more. The PTO raised enough money for a second restock, which they plan to do one more time before the school year ends. Check out their stocked lounge below!
@ptotoday Stock the Lounge vibes 📸 Cogburn Woods PTO in Milton, Georgia #PTOlife #ptomomsoftiktok #teacherappreciation #stockthefridge #ptopresident #schoolvolunteer ♬ When I Ride - Ashley Mehta
Below, we rounded up printable memes (just adhere to cardstock), along with a convenient shopping list of easy grab-and-go snacks and drinks your teachers will love.
Teachers’ Lounge Shopping List
• Individual bags of chips, pretzels, popcorn, crackers, and cookies
• Granola bars
• Protein bar variety (Clif, KIND, Luna)
• Individual packs of trail mix
• Welch’s fruit snacks
• Fruit cups
• Mini candy bars and breath mints
• Beef jerky
• Dried fruit or fruit leathers
• Microwave popcorn
• Instant ramen, such as Cup Noodles
• Yogurt cups
• Fresh fruit (bananas, mandarin oranges, apples)
• Nutella & Go snack packs
• Cheese, fruit, and nut protein packs, such as Sargento Balanced Breaks
• Hummus and/or guacamole cups
• Salami slices (individual packs)
• String cheese
• 12-count packs of soda
• Seltzer cans
• Starbucks drinks
• Naked juice
• Ice cream treats for freezer (chocolate-covered bananas, ice cream sandwiches)
• Keurig K-cups
• Creamer (include a dairy-free option)
• Sugar packets
• Disposable coffee cups and stirrers
Photo credit: Jen DuFore
• Use SignUp Genius to request parent snack and beverage donations; if using an Amazon Wish List, make sure parents select the school address for delivery. (Download the donation list from Cogburn Woods PTO for 85 teachers and staff).
• Collect snack and drink donations during the morning carpool arrival with a cart.
• Stock the lounge after school when the fridges are empty to ensure there’s room for teacher lunches on top the next morning.
• Follow your school’s nut policy and consider any teacher allergies when selecting snacks.
• Purchase baskets from a dollar store to organize and store snack varieties.
• Make sure you’re subscribed to PTO Today’s Leader Lowdown newsletter so you don’t miss out on the free snack offers we give away throughout the school year!
Great times to stock the teachers’ lounge:
• Teacher Appreciation Week
• Testing weeks
• Conference weeks
• Back-to-school time
• One group shared that they do “Snacktober: All Treats, No Tricks” during the month of October—once a week, they stock the lounge with a variety of sodas and snacks.
• In January, when teachers return from winter break
• Valentine’s Day