Question: applying for an ein

How and where does my PTO go to apply for EIN number and tax exempt status?

Asked by ptorocks2



Advice from PTO Today

Craig writes:
For an EIN you fill out IRS form SS-4. You can do it online at, and you'll get an EIN immediately. Tax-exempt status is a longer process. You fill out IRS form 1023, which is much more detailed. When your application is approved, you will be declared a tax-exempt charity under section 501c3 of the federal tax code. You have 27 months from the date your group formed to file, and your tax-exempt status will be retroative to your start date. You also should consider incorporating with your state. Do that first -- the IRS considers your incorporation date your start date, so if you incorporate after applying for 501c3, you'll actually have to reapply. The article 501c3 for PTOs has more information. Also, our PTO Start-up Toolkit includes a section that walks you through form 1023 question by question.

Answer this question: