Question: PTO not a 501 (c) (3)

I am about to take over as treasurer for our group and do not believe that we are actually set up as a 501 (c) (3). I think we operate under the school's tax exempt id. Is this legal?

Asked by Anonymous



Advice from PTO Today

Craig writes:
A group can operate as a committee of the school. In that case you surrender your independence but are covered by the school's 501c3 tax-exempt status. The key question is whether your bank account is set up under the school's EIN (Employer Identification Number, sometimes called "tax ID") or you have your own. If you have your own, you're an independent organization and should file for 501c3. (We recommend that you incorporate, as well.)

Community Advice

kconsoli writes:
Sorry, another question on the original question. Our PTO has it's own EIN number, but is not incorporated and does not have a 501c3 status. Are we required to file state and federal tax returns?

Community Advice

jordan1 writes:

Answer this question: