Question: Responsibilities of getting an EIN

If my independent Parent Assn files for an EIN with the IRS, what type of reporting to the IRS, if any, would we have to do at the end of the year? We raise between $10,000-15,000/year and we are not a 501c3. Thank you.

Asked by margaretnyc



Advice from PTO Today

bblake writes:
As I understand it, organizations with gross receipts less than $5,000 can function as 501(c)3 tax exempts without having to officially apply for tax exempt status (which is done with form 1023). Organizations with gross receipts over $5,000 should submit the 1023 and become officially recognized as tax exempt. Since 2008, my understanding is that all tax-exempt organizations must file an annual information return regardless of income level. This is true whether groups are incorporated or not and whether or not the group is officially certified by the IRS as nonprofit under section 501(c)3 of the federal tax code. Groups with $25,000 - $100,000 in gross receipts file the simple form 990 EZ and groups with less than $25,000 in gross receipts file a brief "e-postcard" form 990N which is completed and submitted electronically to the IRS.

Answer this question: