Question: Federal & State (Kansas) Reporting Requirements

Does anyone know if there are any Federal or State (KS) reporting requirements for a PTO for a private school who had revenue of almost $29,000 last year.

Asked by Anonymous



Advice from PTO Today

Craig writes:
If you haven't done so, your group should register with the IRS as a 501c3 public charity. To do so, you fill out IRS form 1023. Depending on how long your group has been in existence, you may also need to incorporate (we recommend it). Read Your Group's Legal Status for information on how to find out whether you're registered as a 501c3 already and 501c3 for PTOs for information about the application process. If you are already a 501c3 group, both the IRS and the State of Kansas require you to file a tax information return by the 15th day of the fifth month after the end of your fiscal year. So if your fiscal year ends July 31, you must file your return by Dec. 15.

Answer this question: