Message Boards

Fundraiser Ideas for low income students...

8 years 3 months ago #158016 by Danell Collins
Replied by Danell Collins on topic Fundraiser Ideas for low income students...
We did something similar to the mom-to-mom. We did a clothing exchange. The families would donate clothing and get a ticket for every piece that was donated and then use the tickets to "purchase" more clothing. if they wanted more clothes than they had tickets for it cost $0.50 each. Most of the time they wanted more than what they brought in. So we made a few hundred dollars, but the benefit to the families was incredible because most of them can't afford to purchase new clothes so the gently used clothes were perfect for the growing kids.

We also gathered catalogs from our mom's who have stay at home businesses and in November started a catalog party. Just in time for Christmas. This was another few hundred dollars, but we got good PR from this because we only allowed mom's of students to showcase their business (Pampered Chef, Avon, etc)
8 years 3 months ago #158034 by cscalise
I help at a Title 1 school (low income) and we need programs that don't cost parents a lot of money.

One of the best programs we use is eScrip. If you have a VONs, Safeway (or other) club card the grocery store will donate a % of the sales to the school for those that sign up. Check out www (dot) escrip (dot) com they also have an online mall, and recycling program.

Boxtops actually work. We send out 10 (=$1) collection sheets each month and it can bring in $100s.

Check out Goodsearch (dot) com You can earn money for the school just with searching the internet via Yahoo. They also have an online mall feature.

Target Red Card - a % of purchase goes to the school go to target (dot) com and see their Take Charge of Education Program.

Jamba Juice has a PTA program - go to www (dot) jambajuice.com and look under their community program.

Raffles are a good idea too if you contact local businesses and request donations. It is a good incentive to donate if you publicize the donation on the flyer and at the event and provide certificates of appreciation to the business after the event.
8 years 3 months ago #158038 by Patricia Donohue
Replied by Patricia Donohue on topic Fundraiser Ideas for low income students...
I was going to suggest the coupon books or the scripts as well.

Our local grocery store does donate to the local schools if you purchase X amount in participating products. A coupon prints out at the check out. The coupons have to be put in the slot for the school that they want to support. This is a Hannfords program.

What about recycling programs. You can do lot of different things via terracylce that will pay you for trash.
Also Funding Factory recycles ink cartridges and cell phones.

Campbells labels for education is an option as well.

Some programs make more sense to order from the catalog then take cash options. However it gives you a resource for stuff as needed.

If you don't run a book fair that is a possibility as well. This way they can purchase something they need/could use vs expensive food.

I'm not sure if you charge for membership but we add a local discount program to ours as a way to encourage more participation. The board goes door to door asking local business to give a % or something free to members. It does not have to be large some are a 5% discount some are a free coffee when you buy a breakfast sandwich. It gives the members another reason to join.

Don't forget to look for grants!!
Good Luck
8 years 3 months ago #158046 by KT
Hi, I was reading the posts and just wanted to make a comment. Yes, Terracycle is great - as are some of the grants that you can get - HOWEVER you have to have a 501(c)(3) eligiblity. So check with your school district, they may have a blanket one for the district.
One grant that is pretty good is Kohl's Cares for Kids. They will volunteer 5 people to help out at an event AND give you $500.00.

Box Tops works well too.

What about a movie night? You might be able to get donated food and charge either a small entrance fee ($0.50) and small charges for food.
Maybe an ice cream social as well. Culvers did one for us - the cost of the ice cream cups was $1.00 and we provided the topping and sold the cups for $2.00.
Have someone that plays piano or something - maybe someone has a kareoke system that the kids could use - for the entertainment.

Good luck!
8 years 3 months ago #158050 by kz
Our school has a lot of low income families. Fundraising is always a challenge for us.
Some of our more successful events are:

Movie Nights
Book Fair
Spare Change Drive

Last year, for the first time, we hosted a community 5K. Unfortunately, we planned it on the same day as a major community event (first day of little league,) so many families were unable to participate. We hope to have an even better turn out this year.

Good luck! I KNOW it's hard, especially if other schools in your district have more affluent families! It takes my school three events to earn what some other schools in our district can earn in one.
8 years 3 months ago #158057 by carriej73
The school I teach in is low income, 90% on free or reduced lunch. Fundraisers do not work there like they do in my home district. What does work is candy sales - they are only $1 each and car washes. The school is on a main road and people do drive in. The kids also sell tickets for $5 each. (Probably teachers buy most of them but whatever!) I do like the garage sale idea! We did that at our Holiday Bazaar. The Scholastic Book Fair really brought in a LOT of $ when it was pumped up by staff. The teacherrs showed a video advertising books (provided by scholastic)
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds