Message Boards

Movie Nights Themes...

9 years 9 months ago #152404 by KOSANKE454
Replied by KOSANKE454 on topic Movie Nights Themes...
In November we showed UP. We served free popcorn, water and dum dum lollypops. We had about 50 people show up. We just showed G Force we only had about 10 people show. Our movie time has been at 7:30 on Friday's. We are going to show Cloudy with a chance of meatballs this month. We are asking people to bring a can of spaghetti and meatballs to donate to our backpack club. For every can the bring they will get a ticket for our drawing. We will have two baskets one with everything you need to make spaghetti and another with the movie, popcorn, candy, and drink mix all in a popcorn bowl. Our movie nights have always been free and everything we serve is free. My hope is to get more parents to the school. I am hoping by giving away the baskets more people will come. How else can I get more people to come without breaking the bank ? I have sent home fliers, posted movie posters and asked teacher's to tell students again on movie day? Any ideas ? Good luck on your up coming movies.
9 years 9 months ago #152408 by Tracy Hunter
Replied by Tracy Hunter on topic Movie Nights Themes...
We held our 2nd movie night 2 weeks ago and again it was a HUGE success. I posted pictures on this site. Everyone had a great time.

Our movie nights have been on a Tues and a Thurs. Start time at 5:30pm.

Our first movie we served drinks (Capri Suns & Hot Apple Cider) and free popcorn along with jerky (0.50 ea). Had about $150 in profits after expenses for cups & popcorn supplies.

This month we did a dinner: hotdog/chips/caprisun for $3. And a group of our kids sold gummy hamburger and hotdog candies too.

Our school has 480 kids. We planned for serving 150 kids/parents dinner. In the end it looked like we sold about 100. Did sell some chips and drinks by themselves.

Our profits for the night were $180.

We don't use our movie night as a fundraiser, but as a way to get our school community together for some fun. We had many parents thanking us for offering these movie nights. And honestly, I think the 'success' you have will depend on the movie you're showing. Other schools in our district have done movie nights but insist on showing older movies that have been out for a long time...and on the TV many times too. Showing newer released movies that many kids/parents haven't seen can play a large part on your attendance...again, my personal opinion here :0)
9 years 5 months ago #153653 by FoxMom
Replied by FoxMom on topic Movie Nights Themes...
This is a family fun night for us-- we hold 2 a year- one in December with our SAnta's work shop and 1 in may to close out our fundraising year....
we have always had a great turnout-- we sell glow-bracelets, drinks, popcorn, and cany all under 50 cents each- so that a family can come out and have a great time without costing a lot of money....
We had raffled off the movie we are showing as well as gift baskets in the past-- we charge $1.00 per person and they get a raffle ticket for that---
8 years 10 months ago #155643 by Donna
Replied by Donna on topic Movie Nights Themes...
This sounds like a great idea. I have a couple of questions:
1. what day of the week and time was best for your movie night?
2. how long did it take you to set up/clean?
3. how many volunteers did you need?
4. how did you deal with rambunctious kids?
5. did you offer a break and how far into the movie?
6. how far in advance did you start promoting the movie night?

Can't wait to converse with my fellow parents and share this idea.
8 years 10 months ago #155658 by Kate
Replied by Kate on topic Movie Nights Themes...
I am loving this thread! So many great ideas. Our PTSA is for a middle school. Any special considerations for that age? We are planning on providing one hot dog meal free to the kids and each additional one will be $1.
8 years 10 months ago #155679 by KimD
Replied by KimD on topic Movie Nights Themes...
Donna-
1)We have found that Friday nights draw our biggest crowds- interested in hearing what other groups say.

2)Set up typically takes about an hour- we have tear down down to abt 45 minutes. We turn music on and ask families to do a quick clean up before they leave. A lot help.
3)We do it with around 8 volunteers. Sometimes we get hs kids to help.

4).We make an announcemnent in the beginning about the conduct that is expected. We ask paeents to take the kids out if they are disrupting the movie. We also allow the kids in the gym ahead of time which is a great way to let them blow off steam before the movie.

5)We don't offer a break- most movies we chose are only a little over a hour.

6)We are doing a movie night end of February and started putting things in our newsletter already. We promote heavily the 2 weeks before - we find that if we get the kids excited about it they will bug their parents to come.
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds