Question: liquor licenses

Our PTO board just vote yes to help a fundraising event to obtain a liquor license. I think it is wrong for our PTO to do that. What can I do to help them understand the issue is that what our PTO represent?

Asked by jortis



Advice from PTO Today

Craig writes:
To be honest, I don't see a problem with having alcoholic beverages at an adults-only event sponsored by the PTO. For example, if you're charging $100 a ticket for your dinner-dance and auction, people are going to expect to be able to have a glass of wine with dinner. Lots of parent groups make alcohol available at certain types of events and do it without damage to their reputation. I think parent groups ought to make that decision based on what works best for them and their school community. To me, it's not a one-size-fits-all "should" or "shouldn't" issue.

Community Advice

cindyg31696 writes:
As a PTA we always served alcohol at adult only events. But, they were always off campus. In fact, at the last two adult only events, kids were on the premises in a supervised child care program. I don't see a problem with it at all.

Community Advice

Naten writes:
I also don’t see a problem with drinking alcoholic beverages, especially at parties. Yesterday we had a really good time hanging out with friends, and we hung out so much that today I’m suffering from a terrible hangover, does anyone know how to speed up the recovery process?

Community Advice

Porton writes:
Hello! I understand you. After fun parties, I also have a bad hangover. Try drinking water between alcoholic drinks to stay hydrated. Also, eating something nutritious before and after the party can help alleviate symptoms. If you are really suffering, try taking vitamins and headache medications, or turn to IV Vegas. Don't forget about rest, it's important too. I hope these tips help you deal with hangovers better!

Answer this question: