Question: dividing our pto

we are currently one pto for the 3 schools in our district. we will be voting on seperating into 1 for elem and 1 for middle and high (combined). if we do seperate can we all use the same state & local exempt id # and ein or does one have to start fresh? how do we know if we are incorporated?

Asked by Anonymous



Advice from PTO Today

Craig writes:
If you create two separate organizations, you need two EIN numbers. One group can keep the existing EIN while the other needs a new one. Regarding incorporation, check with your state's corporations division (usually part of the secretary of state's office). They will be able to tell you if your group is incorporated. If so, you may need to file a name change if you will be changing the name of the existing group once the split occurs.

Answer this question: