Question: Instructor compensation for after school programs

Our PTO would like to start an after school enrichment program for students. What is the best and easiest way for our PTO, as a nonprofit 501c3 organization, to compensate our instructors? What if some of the instructors are teachers at our school?

Asked by Anonymous



Advice from PTO Today

Craig writes:
I think the most common way to handle this is to hire the instructors as contractors and pay them a flat fee. You then will need to issue IRS form 1099s to anyone who is paid $600 or more for the year. Check with the district to make sure there are no union or district rules that will affect whether or not you can hire teachers.

Answer this question: