Message Boards

PTA to PTO - need to dissolve?

8 years 9 months ago #156488 by Rockne
Hi NJ -

Your questions (with some responses):

3. has the PTA ever circulated a checklist or timeline for disaffiliation?
Some states do. It's a state-level thing.

4. does any one know of the State PTA grabbing assets when all bills have been paid.
I've heard it threatened or implied tons of times. I've never once seen it done. The signers on the bank account are from your group. I don't even know how PTA supposes it would get the $$. Not their money.

5. has anyone ever heard of the State PTA going after the new PTO for the transferred assets? No.

6. within the past 2 years are there any former PTAs that became PTOs abiding by the State PTA disaffiliation bylaw provisions?
Yes, tons. Buit there is no public database of that. PTA membership and unit count is down by hundreds of units and hundreds of thousands of members in last several years. You're not being radical.

6. Tim, have you ever heard of the state PTA intentionally putting up road blocks (other than an opportunity to present at the general meeting) when they were given notice that a PTA was thinking of disaffiliating?
Ever heard of that? Yes, all the time. Drives me crazy. It's a bullying tactic that can sometimes work with a local PTA leader who doesn't take the time to go find out that the threats are hollow.

The key to me is this: have a good solid discussion among your members. Look at pros and cons. Do your research. Have an informal show of hands. That's way more important than any artificially, intentionally-bullyish process described by the people with $$ incentive fo you to stay. If after the research, folks want to stay -- great! If they want to go -- either follow fair steps of PTA or -- if your state's steps or state's leaders are unreasonable -- just let the PTA go dark.

Tim

PTO Today Founder
8 years 8 months ago #156578 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic PTA to PTO - need to dissolve?
MUM24KIDS - Thank you for your reply to my question about filing taxes after transitioning from PTA to PTO...very helpful and greatly appreciated.

NJ - We just chose to let our PTA go dark and have formed the new PTO organization. With regard to our funds, we did have some concerns about PTA trying to seize them. As such, we voted to donate all of our money directly to the school. The school then, in turn, will provide the funding for the new PTO once our non-profit status is established. Perhaps some unnecessary extra steps in the end but was recommended to us so we decided it was the safest way to go. Hope this helps....
8 years 7 months ago #157186 by almost ready
Replied by almost ready on topic PTA to PTO - need to dissolve?
The Ga PTA sent the final check list to finalize our dissolution of our PTA organization. We were prepared for the bylaws that appeared saying that a member of the local PTA charter must be present at the dissolution meeting. There were several other things that were on this document that were in no way available on the state web site. We signed the document cut our losses and are done. The remaining balance will be donated to the middle school PTA. The state/local PTA really can't do anything in the end. Now to raise some money to get the PTSO off to a good start.
Thanks Again~
8 years 7 months ago #157187 by Rockne
Hi almost

Good luck with your new start. I'm curious what those surprise items were. Always interesting to see those.

Looks like you made the switch just before a national dues increase. There's a proposal on the table for another 50-cent per member increase starting later this year.

Tim

PTO Today Founder
5 years 5 months ago #165939 by InNY
Replied by InNY on topic PTA to PTO - need to dissolve?
(From NY)I received an email stating that our PTA unit was about to be dissolved by our Region Director. At first, I was alarmed and tried to remedy the situation, but after researching, I think having a PTO is much better. We only had 26 PTA members, out of those, only 4 ever came out to meetings, which were president, VP, Secretary and treasurer.
My questions are: 1) How long would it take to be completely dissolved? We still have some funds, as a cushion, in the PTA account and don't want to hand that over to NY State PTA, it's our money, we raised it for our kids. We left it for the next group to give them something to start up with.
2) Are there any repercussions for the school principal if we become a PTO? We would be the only school with a PTO.
Quite frankly, people forget this is voluntary and they should not be so constricting with these rules.
We are only here to help our kids and schools. So, if a group of volunteers is late with a payment, we should pay a small, nominal fee, not $700 to be reinstated into the NYSPTA.
5 years 5 months ago #165954 by Rockne
Hi InNY -

To your two questions:

1. Well, if they wrote you a letter threatening dissolution and you want to be a PTO, just let the dissolution take its course. Might be a few months, but that doesn't mena you can't start your PTO (a completely distinct org) now. You don't have to wait for that dissolution to be final. And honestly, if you don't do a membership drive in the new year for the PTA, meaning you'll have no member, then that will kind of make you defunct as well.

2. Repercussions? No. There are far more PTOs than PTAs in the country. And there are thousands of districts with both PTOs and PTAs co-existing.

Tim

PTO Today Founder
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds