Message Boards

Family Reading Night Themes

8 years 9 months ago #155890 by Lisa @ PTO Today
Replied by Lisa @ PTO Today on topic Family Reading Night Themes
Tricia-
Thanks so much for sharing your experience with other PTOs & PTAs! What a great theme for a winter reading night! Congrats on all the positive feedback from attendees.

Wondering if you took any photos? If you did we'd love it if you shared them with other leaders here: www.ptotoday.com/community/groups/viewgr...ht+Group#photoid=239

Thanks again,

~Lisa

Follow us on Twitter .
Connect with us on Facebook .
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #156149 by Snookie
Replied by Snookie on topic Family Reading Night Themes
Our reading week is
READING WEEK 2011: April 4-8;
Theme "Travel the World Inside a Book: New Faces, New Places, READ"
I have taken a few ideas from the site...
We have little volunteering but we would like to hold a free even to tie in with our Book Fair.
Any ideas to go with the theme and to keep it less stressful on the PTO and fun and free for families?
8 years 4 months ago #157796 by NES- PTG
Replied by NES- PTG on topic Family Reading Night Themes
I just ordered a reading night kit and we plan on doing one in the fall. Has anyone else run one in the fall and have feedback on timing and good themes?
8 years 3 months ago #158060 by jennifer
Replied by jennifer on topic Family Reading Night Themes
I've been in charge of several family reading nights at our school. Past themes have been-
* Catch the Reading Bug--bug theme
* Reading is Snow Fun--winter theme
* Wild about Reading-- animal theme
* Treasure Reading--pirate theme
* Reading is Magical-- magic theme
7 years 11 months ago #159154 by rachelmattison
We just had our first K-2 Family Reading Night last night and it was a big success. We didn't have a theme aside from come in your pj's with your family to read books on a chilly December night! We did it from 6:30-8 on a Thursday so people had time to eat dinner and come over in pj's. We were all cleaned up and out of there by 8:10.

2 weeks before: I asked the 3rd-6th graders to donate gently used books for a book swap table. They filled 3 boxes for us!

I lined up 3 adult readers (the principal and two teachers) and 3 5th grade girls who read in pairs. They chose their own books to read so there was a lot of variety.

We set up the elmo projector in the gym and borrowed a rocking chair from a Kindergarten teacher. We used a lapel mike to help project. I had a spare copy of each book from the library and projected the pictures while the reader read.

After the readers, kids were encouraged to visit the book swap table and swap a book that they had brought. (If they didn't bring a book, we had enough so that each child could take one home).

We had simple snacks (cookies, brownies, pretzels, lemonade) in the cafeteria along with an easy bookmark craft laid out on the tables.

Fortunately, I brought a Scholastic video collection of books that I put on for the families that showed up 30 minutes early and we were still setting up.

We estimated that at least 150 people came and we are just thrilled. Thanks so much to ptotoday for your kit and advice!
7 years 10 months ago #159288 by Karen Ceradsky
Replied by Karen Ceradsky on topic Family Reading Night Themes
I have been coordinator for Family Reading Night for nine years now. I have had many themes, but the most successful was last years theme. The slogan was "Reading Rocks" and the theme was rock and roll 50's & 60's style. I had a local DJ come and be our guest reader. Following refreshments, the DJ then played rock and roll music while we had an old fashioned sock hop. The students were encouraged to dress 50's style. The parents gave very good reviews. Now I just need to come up with something exciting this year. Open to ideas.
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds