Question: How do i become tax id ??

how do i get to be school tax's encamped? please help so lost in this PTO stuff

Asked by Nichelle163



Community Advice

mum24kids writes:
Are you trying to just get a tax id number for your group, or you have a tax id number and want to find out how to be exempt from paying Federal taxes? Is this a brand new group?

Community Advice

Nichelle163 writes:
I'm just started that PTO has not been one at this school for five Year thank u for your help

Advice from PTO Today

Rose H writes:
Hi Nichelle163!

What great news that you are helping to restart the PTO.

Sounds like what you are looking to do is get a tax ID number, which you do need to have in order to open a bank account for your group. Just go to IRS online at and fill out form SS-4 for an Employer Identification Number (EIN). Do it online, and they'll issue your number on the spot.

In the meantime, I'll point you to our article about starting a PTO. It will give you a step-by-step guide on how to get the group going, such as meeting with some other parents who are interested in getting more involved, making a plan for what your group wants to do, etc.

Here's the link to the article on How to Start A PTO.

I'd also recommend that you check out our Message Boards on this site. We have many wonderful parent group leaders on the Message Boards who are always willing to share their ideas and help out.

Good luck and please stay in touch!


Answer this question: