Question: Parent Boosters USA

We recently switched from PTA to PTO. We successfully incorporated (just received our letter from the state this week). We are now ready to apply for tax exempt status with the IRS. I recently found the Parent Boosters USA website. It's a non-profit organization that booster groups and PTOs can join to obtain immediate IRS tax exempt status under their umbrella. Are there any other PTOs that are members of Parent Boosters USA? I'd like feedback about this organization if anyone has dealt with them or a member.

Asked by Anonymous



Community Advice

mum24kids writes:
I used them 5 or 6 years ago, and it was the ideal solution for us at the time. This was for a booster organization that was new and very small, but wanted to be able to have official 501(c)(3) status to be able to apply for some grants. It kind of depends on what Parent Boosters fees are now in relation to the IRS filing fee. It's very quick and easy to get your 501(c)(3) status through PBUSA, but, in my opinion, it doesn't really make sense for a long term solution, because it's not that difficult to file the exemption application on your own, and is ultimately less expensive than going with PBUSA.

Community Advice

TAB writes:
Thanks for the information. Our PTO joined Parent Boosters USA (PBUSA) last October and we are very pleased so far. We are now a 501(C)(3) status under the umbrella of PBUSA. They offer different levels of membership. We currently have the basic membership, we'll probably upgrade when we renew. PSUSA is a quick way to obtain IRS nonprofit status especially if switching from PTA to PTO.

Advice from PTO Today

Craig writes:
One note: Now that the IRS has revised the application for 501c3 (as of July 1, 2014), it's significantly easier and less expensive to apply on your own. The new form is 1023EZ. I'd recommend checking out that form before you make a decision.

Answer this question: